Is there a "burn in" Guide ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a "burn in" Guide ?

I am Buying the Mushkin DDR500 PC 4000 This Friday. I have read that they are better after burning in. So I am looking for a guide. Also, does anyone have any advice for cooling the ram? I saw in a article where a overclocker made a bracket out of a coat hanger and supported a 120mm fan over the ram. I have seen the Thermaltake active ram cooler, but it did not get impressive reviews. I do plan on overclocking the ram.

System
    DFI Lanparty SLI DR
    AMD San Diego 3700+
    Mushkin DDR500 PC 4000, 1 Gig (2 x 512)
    Antec Truepower 550 EPS
    BFG 7800 XGT
    Raptor 74 gig Master
    WD 80 gig Slave

Re: Is there a "burn in" Guide ?

Use Prime95 for burning in but with that setup I doubt that you'll much of a chance at overclocking that memory.

Comment

Why is that, What's wrong with my set up ?

Comment

Agreed use Prime95 for burning in but use Memtest86+ (in my signature) as well, because it's a much better test of the RAM.

Is the RAM you got Mushkin Redline PC4000? That should overclock quite nicely along with the rest of your components. But as you mentioned, it can get quite hot and you may want to look into giving it active cooling. The method you described may be a good idea.

Comment

whew!! I was a little worried after that last post. It is PC 4000. everything that I have read has led me to believe this is the best memory for my system. Noise is not a problem for me as my Antec case is rather quiet. I will put the fan with the highest cfm I can find.

Comment

Originally posted by DunpealHunter
            It is PC 4000.
            Yeah, I got that the first time... Is it Mushkin Redline PC4000? Just any old PC4000 is nice, but Redline (or the identical OCZ VX) will make regular PC4000 look weak.

Comment

I'm sorry, i did'nt catch that. It is the Redline series.

Last edited by DunpealHunter; 08-10-2005, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Excellent, it will overclock quite nicely, but again, you will probably need active cooling, especially since that appears to be the older version without Mushkins new heatsink. If they sell it, though, you could buy a couple of them and replace the standard ones and see if that's enough, though I doubt you'd be able to get much past 3.2v without active cooling.

Comment

Originally posted by wayout44
                  Use Prime95 for burning in but with that setup I doubt that you'll much of a chance at overclocking that memory.
                  Did you actually think before you wrote this?

That is excellent ram and it will get better with use. Follow Yawgm0th's suggestion and definitely get some good air cooling on it. Using coat hanger wire and a couple of 80MM or even 60MM fans will give you the cooling you need. The higher CFM fans would be better, but of course louder. I run my OCZ VX up to 3.5V with excellent cooling and it barely gets warm to the touch even when running 261MHz.
                  GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                  AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                  Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                  Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                  Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                  PC P&C 500W PSU
                  2TB Seagate
                  Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

I will follow Yawgmoth advice. I do need to know though. I read about the new heatsinks for the Mushkins coming out( dont remember where I read that dang article), but I do not know how to tell if it is the new or old or where to get the new ones. Any Ideas ?

Edit, found the article
                    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=re...D7rc4QH7z72LDg

Edit again, Now I need to buy the new Redline. Anyone know where I can get them ?
                    Last edited by DunpealHunter; 08-10-2005, 09:07 PM.

Comment

You don't need the new Redline modules... the memory is the same, just different heat spreaders with more surface area. If you're going to be using active cooling for the modules, then you'll be fine.
                      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                      My Toys

Comment

Your probably right. I just wanted the lateset and greatest. They will porbably cost more too. I will get the ones that are available from newegg....

Comment

You should give the sticks you have a chance before you replace them. Since overclocking is never guaranteed, you may have some really good sticks there, or average. If they don't overclock well, then sell them and look for newer. Otherwise, you may pass up on some really nice stuff that you already have.
                          GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                          AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                          Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                          Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                          Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                          PC P&C 500W PSU
                          2TB Seagate
                          Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

I am sorry, there is a misunderstanding. I do not currently have redlines. I am getting some this Friday, I currenty have Kingston value ram. DDR 400 PC 3200. I thought If I was going to get new ram ( Redline) I should get the new heatsink version

Comment

There's a big misunderstanding...

I thought you had the Redline, and I was suggesting you get the new heatsinks for them seperately (assuming Mushkin sells them, and I'd bet they do), not replace them altogether. If you don't even have the RAM yet, then you should certainly go for the ones with the new heatsink.

Comment

Working...
                              X