Dual Channel Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Channel Question

Hey, I have an Asus A7N8X-Delux mobo with dual channel capability. The question is how do I know if it's running in dual channel? The bios doesn't say anything; it just says "Total Ram 1024". I ran Sandra and this is what it gave for the memory slots:
    Bank 0 512
    Bank 2 512 (both same speeds, 2700, and each are in the different channels)
    Channels 2
    Speed 2x166mhz (332mhz data rate)

Does that tell me I'm running dual channel mode?
    And is there some way I can run a test to see if it's in dual channel mode?

Re: Dual Channel Question

Check out the boot screen when you first turn on the system. There is usually some sort of blurb about how much memory is installed and a comment about it being dual channel. If I recall, CPU-Z also shows whether you're running dual channel or not... can't remember for sure, though, and I'm at work so can't check right now.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Ok. The POST screen flashes so fast you can't see what's on it, but I managed to hit pause right as it came on. I am in dual channel mode. My next question is: Is it possible to run 1gig in channel 1 and 512mb in channel 2? Or do they have to be the same size in both channels? I remember reading something on intel and other places where they had to be the same (or something along those lines). Just want some more input on that. And would 1.5 gigs (which is the max for my board) degrade some areas of performance? It seems like it would take longer to retreive data stored in the ram if I had more. I already have a spare 512 (same speed) to use but I'm not even sure most of my apps use even 1 gig.

Comment

its possible to run 1gb in one ahnanel and 512 in anoyrr chanel. you wnt be in duakl channnwl tho.if you curently just hsave one sticjk and you instal another rhwn rher wont be any perfomance decrce but there be not icrease, especcciallty if you not currnetly using full memory capacity,

ps. im stoned out of my head sop this pprobablky wont amke any sence.

Comment

In other, less-intoxicated words, you can run the 1.5GB of RAM in your system, but it won't be in dual channel mode. Unless you have some very RAM-intensive applications, and there are few that would need 1.5, dual-channel 1GB will likely provide better performance.

Comment

thanks for translating my last post yawgm0th

Comment

Working...
            X