Neo2 Plat dual channel memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neo2 Plat dual channel memory

Hello, I am currently running an msi k8n neo2 plat with a gig of Kingston pc3200 value ram, and am having trouble getting it to run in dual channel mode at 400mhz. Ive read threds about how to do it, and that the neo2 doesnt support dual channel mode when it clearly says it does in the manual, although doesnt exactly explane how to actaully run it. I tried bios/sell menue/dram config/ and setting that to 400, but the max is 200. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!

Re: Neo2 Plat dual channel memory

Is this mainboard a socket 754 or 939?
    Also 200MHz double pumped equals DDR400.

Comment

NEO"2" = 939, just plain old NEO is 754...

But if it doesn't have dual channel its not s939 so make up your mind there Whitedevil, lol.
      HTT(FSB) and Memory fequencys are 200 for everything greater than a Barton 3000.
      Dual pumped memory(as wayout said) = 400MHz.
      s754 CPU's have 800FSB dual pumped = 1600 efective
      s939 CPU's have 1000FSB dual pumped = 2000 efective

In dual channel you need to have the two sticks of memory in the same color slots, there should be 2 of one color and 2 of another. The memory sticks also need to be IDENTICAL, memory size, speed, timings, model number, everything.
      Last edited by Amd_Lover2004; 12-27-2004, 05:41 AM.

Comment

I think the person who colour-coded the memory slots for the neo2 must be colour-blind, cause slots 1 and 2 (nearest the cpu) work fine for dual-channel (and thats 1 green, 1 purple)

Comment

My dillema is this, AMD. Ive been told they need to be in the same color slots, although, the manual that came with the board indicates it needs to be in slots 1 and 2 or 3 and 4, which are different colors. One is green, and two is purple, for instance. Ive tried both configurations and the ram is currently in slots 1 and 2. Though I've read, what you are suggesting, that the ram must be in the same color slots to run at an effective 400 mhz. I dont have a clue as to what you are asking me to make up my mind about. In bios, it says something like DRAM 200 right under the effective processor speed. Thanks.

It says current DDR clock: 200 Mhz in bios/cell amenue
          Last edited by Whitedevil87; 12-27-2004, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Well if you got it working at DDR400 dual channel in something other than slots 1+2 or 3+4 than fair enough. What i was saying was, ignore the colours and just use the slots nearest the cpu (1 and 2), seeing as you only have 2 sticks of RAM
            Last edited by sr4470; 12-27-2004, 07:50 AM.

Comment

The memory runs at 400MHz when it says 200MHz(its done by the computer not you)
              And sorry about the make up your mind thing, I was thinking you were trying to make dual channel work on a 754 NEO board. Do what sr4470 says and put the two sticks nearist to the CPU and that should work, don't worry about any of the frequency stuff the computer can figure that out on its own, and it will run at the proper speeds.

Comment

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...Id=711&dPage=4

Read the text under the third photo and you'll see that you need slots 1&2 or 3&4 to run dual channel mode. When I reviewed the board it made no sense to me at all; it even had a comment in the manual not to use memory modules in slots 1&2... but do it. This is the only way you'll get the dual channel memory controller on the processor to work.
                Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                My Toys

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. :)

Comment

Working...
                  X