!HELP! What ram to choose?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• !HELP! What ram to choose?????

I built my computer about 3 months back. I use it mostly for gaming, usually CS:Source or Doom3. I need some advice on what ram to buy because I bought the wrong ram. My system specs are:

ASUS k9v-se deluxe mb
    AMD 64 3400+ 1mb L2 cache
    Corsair 1GB pc3200 registered ddr ram (1 dimm)
    PNY 6800 ultra oc
    Western Digital 74gb 10,000 rpm SATA hdd
    Creative Audigy2 Platinum

I am looking for something faster like pc-3700 or something. I prefer 512 x2 dual channel. Yeah, so any recommedations?

Re: !HELP! What ram to choose?????

There is no reason to get PC-3700. Even when overclocking the extra bandwidth is not needed. For overclocking I would probally get the cheapest RAM you can find with TCCD chips running on a Brainpower PCB. This stuff looks really good:

Another option would be micron 5b-g. In that case I would go with this:

If you are overclocking either of those are good but I would choose the Crucial RAM myself. If you are not overclocking there is no reason to get expensive RAM. Something like this would be good in the case of no overclocking:
    Last edited by KoolDrew; 12-24-2004, 06:57 PM.

Comment

I am not planning on overclocking. thanx.. any other reccomendations?

Comment

Originally posted by sojux42o
        I built my computer about 3 months back. I use it mostly for gaming, usually CS:Source or Doom3. I need some advice on what ram to buy because I bought the wrong ram. My system specs are:

ASUS k9v-se deluxe mb
        AMD 64 3400+ 1mb L2 cache
        Corsair 1GB pc3200 registered ddr ram (1 dimm)
        PNY 6800 ultra oc
        Western Digital 74gb 10,000 rpm SATA hdd
        Creative Audigy2 Platinum

I am looking for something faster like pc-3700 or something. I prefer 512 x2 dual channel. Yeah, so any recommedations?
        I take it that you meant the ASUS K8V SE Deluxe, get a good quality CAS2.5 PC3200 stick if you just want a single 1GB stick though with timmings of 2.5-4-4 I'd be cringing so I'd suggest that you just get 2 x 512MB PC3200 sticks of good CAS2 PC3200 (2-2-2 or 2-3-2) as these would give much better memory performance.

Comment

is that stuff dual channel??

Comment

sure does look like it

Comment

Yes you can run them in dual channel. If you are not overclocking there is no need for expensive RAM. Get yourself some Corsair Value Select. That low latency RAM will give you an extra 3FPS max in games which definitely is not worth what it costs.

The only reason to go with expensive RAM like that is if you are a overclocker or if you do alot of benchmarking for bragging rights.

Comment

Working...
              X