Another DDR question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another DDR question

I see some advertisements on E-bay concerning memory in computers.
    One ad says 256MB DDR2 SDRAM @ 400 MHz. Another ad says
    Dual Channel 256MB DDR2 Sdram @ 400 MHz. IS this the same thing ? Does the "2" after DDR mean that it is Dual Channel, or does it specifically have to say Dual Channel and DDR2. Sorry if this has already been asked. Mike

Re: Another DDR question

DDR2 is the new memory standard you use with Intel's latest chipsets and is entirely different to DDR modules so does your mainboard support DDR2?

Comment

These are descriptions for NEW Dell 3000 and 4700 computers. They both have 3.0 Ghz. P4 CPU's and 800 FSB. But some people say Dual Channel DDR2, while others just say DDR2. My question is, does the "2" after DDR mean that it is Dual Channel, or must it say that it is Dual Channel DDR2 ?

Comment

DDR2 is totaly diffrent from DDR... DDR2 has more pins, more bandwidth :) , and higher latencies :( ... ewww...

DDR2 does not mean DDR in dual Channel, but both DDR and DDR2 can be run in Dual Chanel but you need a mother board that supports it, DDR2 will not fit into a DDR 184 pin slot. As far as I know intel motherboards are the only ones to use DDR2 as of yet.

Comment

Thanks to wayout44 and Amd_Lover2004 for the info. So, I can assume that DDR2 is better than DDR, and Dual Channel DDR2 is better than DDR2. Many thanks again !

Comment

Originally posted by MIKEY13
            So, I can assume that DDR2 is better than DDR, and Dual Channel DDR2 is better than DDR2.
            No one said that. In many situations, it is significantly better than DDR, but in other situations it can be worse due to the latencies. That's irrlevant, though because the performance certainly doesn't justify the cost. It generally costs over $100 U.S. for 512MB of DDR2, while decent PC3200 (400MHz DDR) can be had for under $70. The fact that you have to use it in an Intel system makes it even worse, becasue you are restricted to socket 775, which over terrible prices and performance (for the most part) on motherboards and processor compared to the competition from AMD. Not only would I suggest avoiding DDR2 unless you must have an LGA775 system for some reason (unlikely), but I'd say stay away from Intel processor entirely unless you need to do some video encoding or something else that Pentium 4s perform well in.

Comment

Working...
            X