older pc/ram question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• older pc/ram question.

I have this 500mhz hp pavilion with 2 memory slots. System ram is a 64mb stick and the other is a 128mb stick. Now im not 100% sure what ram to put in it. acording to the manf. site its SDRAM 168pin 100mhz but it also says the maximum amount of ram u can have is 256 2x(128) I think its pc100 ram cuz the 100mhz. Well i have two sticks of 256mb pc133/256 ram laying around. Anyone know if i can get these to work with this system board?
    my view on the two party system...

Re: older pc/ram question.

Not at full speeds, but they should work and just underclock themselves. Just try it; if it doesn't work, just take them out and put the old sticks in.

Comment

Ok the thing is that 2x128MB limit is likely there because the mainboard is equiped with SIMM memory slots and not DIMM memory slots so only sticks with the memory modules on one side of the PCB will work with it (128MB limit here unless using registered sticks and that PC will not work with registered memory).
      Some doubled sided memory sticks may work in some setups but only register half the memory as the memory socket can only read one side of the stick basically.
      But you should have no problem using PC133 with it (and maybe even PC150 but so long as both do not require the memory voltage increased above PC100 standards).
      Last edited by wayout44; 12-01-2004, 09:16 AM.

Comment

ok it is simm cuz the memory module are on one side. the pc wouldnt boot up when i had both sticks in. now i have one old stick and a 256 stick in and my bios says that no memory installed in slot 1. This is nuts it should be able to read it. the sticks are nearlly identical. the 256 sticks are slightly taller but that is all. thx for all ur help if and if anyone knows how i cant get the 256mb memory to work in a pc100 slot pls let me know. My bios is limited and i cant set voltages or anything through it. Maybe if i flash the bios tho...
        my view on the two party system...

Comment

The chipset installed in the mainboard will be your limiting factor with regards to allowed memory. If the manual states it cannot utilize anything over 2x128MB sticks, there is a reason... namely it can't address any larger module sizes. That's kinda why they made the manual to begin with, don't ya think? At any rate, this is why it doesn't see the memory; it simply cannot deal with modules that large. This was a very common limitation in older systems.
          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
          My Toys

Comment

Working...
          X