Underclocking Rams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underclocking Rams

Is there a way to make PC4000 RAMs run at a lower speed? I was thinking to get Crucial Ballistix PC4000 and see how that goes. If I don't like it, I'll just change it to DDR400 and change the timings to 2-2-2-5. Is that possible?

Re: Underclocking Rams

RAM of higher speeds will easily run at lower speeds. However, don't count on it running at better-than-stock timings just because it's underclocked.

Comment

can I count on my processor to run at 250FSB at air cooling instead?

Comment

That depends on the air cooling. See how far you can get before you have heat issues. I know AMD_Man2003 has a 2.4c (how ironic...) at 3GHz, which is 250x12 just like 2.4GHz is 200x12, for 250MHz like you want. I don't know what kind of cooling he has, though. But, the RAM certainly won't be an issue at that speed.

Comment

I'm on air. Only upped the voltage to 1.575 I can run up to 270mhz FSB on air but my air-cooler is a 1.8a's stock cooler so my temps get up over 60C

Comment

wow... that's a 2.4c though. They are generally the best overclocker in the "c" department. now my real question is that is there a chance that my proc wont go to 250 because my particular sux more than others? My other question is that is it likely to go to 250?

Comment

I just noticed you have OC Enhanced Bandwidth PC3500. Don't bother replacing that. IT will overclock insanely well.

If you have a good thermal compound and a good HSF it will likely go that high. I doubt it would make it to 250 on stock cooling, though. And you are correct that the overclockability of processors varies, but cooling and voltage adjustments will make up for it enough to get you to 250MHz.

Comment

I tried everything. I'd add new artic silver to the proc and added artic silver to my 9800 pro for the first time. It won't go any higher than 230fsb. The RAM is running at PC3700 speed and specs. The only thing is that instead of 3-2-2-6, it's 3-3-2-6. I tried to get the numbers from 3DMark03 of both. With it at 3-3-2-6, I got 6146. When I change it to 3-2-2-6, the 3DMark03 program keeps crashing. After numerous tries, I got 6172. I could never get another score becuase it kept crashing. When I say it kept crashing, I mean computer reboots, program receives an error, or it freezes. Now I can't get it back to 3-3-2-6 without it crashing when windows startup. What should I do? Wait a while and then change it back to 230fsb?

Comment

You may have to increase the RAM's voltage.

Comment

I don't think I can do that manually. My mobo's manual said that the voltage is adjusted automaticly.

Comment

If you up both the RAM and CPU's voltage and aren't having cooling issues, then I don't see what the problem is.

Comment

I've tried to get the fsb higher than 230. It kept crashing, so I changed it back to 230. It is still crashing, as of before where it was at 230 n it wasn't crashing. Also, I want to get higher than 230fsb. Any ways I could do that?
                        Last edited by jd53887; 09-20-2004, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X