Memory newbie question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory newbie question

I currently have a single stick of 512mb ddr400 memory on my intel 865glc motherboard.
    When I enter the bios utility in system specification it says that the stick is in fact dd400, however when I enter windows the intel active monitor claimed that the memory was ddr333.
    I checked at the bios and the frequency is automatically set in 333, i manually set it in 400, however after booting i get an error message and the frequency is set to 266 until i return the bios and set it in auto (in which case teh bios decides to use 333).

i am pretty sure that the memory is ddr400 because the bios says it and the stickers says it, however it only runs at ddr333, does this has anything to do with the dual channeling thing, or is it something else?.

My system specs are: motheboard intel d865 glc, intel pentium 4 2.4 @ 533 fsb, single stick of 512 ddr400(?) ram.

Re: Memory newbie question

The processor FSB will only be 133 (x4 for 533), so you would have to be running the RAM at a higher speed than the CPU to run it higher than 133FSB (266DDR). The RAM will constantly change back to PC2100 speeds unless you set the RAM divider to something other than 1:1 in the BIOS.

Comment

thanks for the reply, do you know any way to use the full capacity of my ram??

Comment

You can run it at 400MHz DDR, if that's what you mean, but you can't take advantage of it without a different processor (an 800MHz FSB P4 or any 400MHz FSB AMD processor).

Comment

arrgh, damn, thanks for the information anyways.

Time to start saving..

Comment

Working...
          X