Comments on PNY Memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments on PNY Memory

Situation: I have been given a $100 store credit at Best Buy. I figure I can go with some PNY Memory or a new 80GB hard drive.

I'm looking for comments on PNY's memory. I am preparing to build an Athlon 64 system primarily for gaming.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

S.B.G.T.F.
    (Saved By Grace Through Faith)

Get a different memory brand (Corsair, Geil, OCZ, Mushkin are all good). Use the card for an HDD. If Best Buy sells the Western Digital 10000RPM Raptors (36.7 GB and 74 GB versions), try to get those. That would be the smartest thing to get for your HDD. Otherwise a 7200RPM 8MB cache SATA drive will do.

Unless you're not using SATA....

Comment

PNY isn't bad memory, but it isn't the best either. While it will likely be perfectly stable at default speeds, it generally doesn't play well when you begin cranking up the FSB or tweaking the memory timings. Remember, you get what you pay for.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

hopefully places like bestbuy would cary kingston and viking ram to. i know kingston is great, as for viking i have heard good things, but from not so reliable sources.
        amd 4200 x2
        2gb ocz gold pc4000
        dfi utlpl nf4 sli-d
        antec sp500
        bfg7800gtx
        zalman cpu cooler

Comment

PNY RAM IS ABOUT AS GOOD AS GENERIC RAM FROM what i"ve heard bout it youre much better off getting adifernt brand such as kingstons budget ram brand kingmax

Comment

Originally posted by Amdking
            PNY RAM IS ABOUT AS GOOD AS GENERIC RAM FROM what i"ve heard bout it youre much better off getting adifernt brand such as kingstons budget ram brand kingmax
            Kingmax has absolutely nothing to do with Kingston, two totally different companies.

Kingston's budget RAM is called Kingston Value-RAM or something like that, and if Best Buy has it than get it instead.

Comment

Really? Sorry mate. One of my friends told me that kingmax was owned by kingston and it was their budget ram. Thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

Originally posted by Amdking
                Really? Sorry mate. One of my friends told me that kingmax was owned by kingston and it was their budget ram. Thanks for clearing that up.
                No ties at all, though I can see how you could be misguided into thinking they are. :cheers:

Comment

I refuse to use PNY RAM ever again. Why? Because everytime I use them, I have problems with stability, it won't run anything but the slowest timings...it's budget quality, but they seem to think they can charge alot more than the crap is worth.

Comment

Working...
                  X