New Memory Causes BSOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Memory Causes BSOD

i picked up a new 512 PC2700 DDR SDRAM made by Spec Tek (Spec Tec is marked on the stick). i currently have one 512 PE2700 DDR SDRAM (the stick is marked Samsung but Aida32 identfies it as Win Tec). Mother board is a Gigabyte GA-7VRXP. i put the new stick in and i get the BSOD soon as the desktop comes up. both sticks work fine by themselves. i tried lowering/raising the cas latency and ram voltage. no luck on both. also put in the new stick with my friends stick which is a 256 PC2700 DDR and it worked fine. my friends stick with my old one also resulted in BSOD. the only thing i can think of is this. my old stick is double bank, while the new stick and my friends are both single bank. i got this bank info form soft sandra and Aida32. this bank stuff is new to me, never heard of it before. whats it mean and which is better. could this be why my old stick and new stick are not compatible?

~Thomas~

Other than never hearing the name (which sounds cheap and nasty), you really should only use the same brand and type of memory (mixing different brands/types often leads to problems).

Comment

yeah, i was rather suprised at what names Aida32 and SoftSandra were calling the ram. your right i really should be using duplicate sticks of brand name ram. thanks for responding. any ideas on the single bank and double bank, as to what that means?

~Thomas~

Comment

Single bank (SIMM) only has memory chips on one side of the stick while doudle bank (DIMM) has memory chips on both sides of the stick. Another thing to check is the density of those chips as some mainboards cannot handle some of the denser varieties.

Comment

quick question, once again sorry for the inconveniance (however you spell that word).

what is ddr sdram? or what is the difference between it and ddr or rd ram?
          amd 4200 x2
          2gb ocz gold pc4000
          dfi utlpl nf4 sli-d
          antec sp500
          bfg7800gtx
          zalman cpu cooler

Comment

DDR ram performs 2 reads or writes per clock cycle. one one the rising signal and one on the falling signal.
            its the most common form of ram.
            RDRAM was only used by the early p4s and is a proprietory product owned by rambus

Comment

ok, thanks.
              amd 4200 x2
              2gb ocz gold pc4000
              dfi utlpl nf4 sli-d
              antec sp500
              bfg7800gtx
              zalman cpu cooler

Comment

Working...
              X