Newbie to DDR Ram...need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie to DDR Ram...need help

I recently built a new computer using an intel 2.4c and an ASUS P4S800D-E Deluxe. I ordered it with two sticks of 256 pc 3200 ram, but i am a newb to dual channel ram and don't know what the hell to do. I see two sets of two slots for the ram...do i put one stick in one and one in the other? Is there something I need to change in bios? And can I still overclock the ram just by messing with the ratio? Should I buy some more ram (i got he processor oc'ed to 3.0)

The 4 slots should look like this

A------------
    B------------

1------------
    2------------

In order to use dual channel, you need identical pairs of ram, and you can either put 1 slot stick in A and the other must be in 1 to have dual. Or one stick in B and the other must be in 2..get the picture?
    Also nothing to change in bios for dual channel.
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Thanks for the help

I'm have two identical sticks of 256 (sold in a pair) so i should be good there, but do you think I should get some more RAM? People keep telling me that you need at least 1 gb to get a really good overclock but if i were to buy more ram, it would require me going with a cheaper video card which I really don't want to do.

Comment

Read your manual. My abit manual told me exactly what slots to put ram in to enable ddr.

Comment

Originally posted by werley_123
          Thanks for the help

I'm have two identical sticks of 256 (sold in a pair) so i should be good there, but do you think I should get some more RAM? People keep telling me that you need at least 1 gb to get a really good overclock but if i were to buy more ram, it would require me going with a cheaper video card which I really don't want to do.
          1gb won;t make OCing any better, I'd stick with the 512megs of RAM.

Put 1 stick in the slot closet to the CPU socket, than one in the 3rd slot from the CPU socket

Comment

Working...
          X