hp and pc133 ram not compatable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hp and pc133 ram not compatable?

i have an old HP and P2 533mhz, just a few days ago the HD craped out so i replaced it along with adding an aditional stick of ram, 256mb pc133, for some reason the bios isn't recognizing the new stick that i just put in. i know it works because i put it in another pc that i have and it worked just fine. there are only 2 memory slots and i have tried every possible combination of the two stikcks and even just the new one. ive already checked on hp's webpage and... nothing, even tech support is stumped... plz help
    **LAPTOP**
    Core 2 Duo "Memron" T7500 (2.2ghz)
    Intel Crestline GL960/GM965/PM965
    4096mb DDR2-667 5-5-5-12
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M (512 MB)

Often OEMs will mismatch RAM and CPU bus speeds (saves money), perhaps a stick of 100 or even 66 Mhz RAM would be more appropriate for that motherboard.

RAM is backwards compatible to a great extent, yes but maybe this stick or motherboard is fussy?

Is the voltage compatible?
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Also older PC's are more often equiped with SIMM slots (single in-line memory module) instead of today's DIMM slots (dual in-line memory module) and if that 256MB stick has memory modules on both sides then that could be the prob but also the memory density maybe outside those supported by the mobo plus I've never had any success with usin' memory sticks over 128MB in size with name brand PC's of that vintage. If ya don't have the manual that came with it (this will usually state what type of memory modules can be used for upgrades) but if ya don't have that then head over to HP and insert ya PC model and ya should be able to find the module requirements (this may take a little time as HP's site is not the easiest to get around).

Comment

Sound advice:thumb:

Once you've got that model information a quick trip to Crucial and the memory configurator available there should make short work of determining what type of RAM is compatible.
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

srry bout no specs. its a HP 866oc w/ 128mb of pc100 dimm, its not really that old
          **LAPTOP**
          4096mb DDR2-667 5-5-5-12

Comment

Have you got a product line + model?

Comment

its a pavillion 8660c

i checked crucials page and i have the right kind of memory but the system cant hold more that 256mb of memory. so if i take the 128 out the other stick should work but it doesn't
              **LAPTOP**
              4096mb DDR2-667 5-5-5-12

Comment

Seein' as ya found the proper model number it's as I thought;
                from HP's site
                [b]DIMM requirements
                DIMM modules for the HP Pavilion PC Model 85xx, 86xx, and 96xx must meet the following requirements:

The maximum size of a DIMM module (for one socket) is 128 MB.
                Motherboards with two DIMM sockets accept up to 256 MB of memory (2 x 128).
                Motherboards with three DIMM sockets accept up to 384 MB of memory (3 x 128).
                All DIMMs must be 168-pin, 4-clock, unbuffered Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory (SDRAM) modules.
                DIMM SDRAM modules can be 16 MB, 32 MB, 64 MB, or 128 MB.
                Synchronous memory access is at the clock rate of 100 MHz.
                Example
                If the computer motherboard comes with 64 MB of memory and it contains 3 DIMM sockets, the maximum amount of memory that can be installed is 384 MB. (The maximum DIMM size per slot is 128 MB, and there are 3 sockets: 3 x 128.) To upgrade the memory in this scenario, replace the existing 64 MB DIMM with a 128 MB DIMM. Then, add two 128 MB DIMMs to the two empty DIMM sockets.
                So a 256MB stick won't work and the page can be found here.

Comment

so i read... much to my dissapointment, but luckly it is on-route back to newegg.com in exchange for the same thing minus 128mb of ram. thanks for the help and ... cheers...:cheers:
                  **LAPTOP**
                  4096mb DDR2-667 5-5-5-12

Comment

Working...
                  X