How do you know what Ram to buy for your motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you know what Ram to buy for your motherboard

I have 512 ram 256x2 How can I tell what kind of ram to buy (want to buy 2X512 or 512 and run it with the 256) what info do you need and where do i find this?

Well a lot will depend on the mobo ya have but ya forgot to include the details of that. ;)

Comment

Whats mobo, what details do you need, and where can I find it?

Comment

mobo = motherboard which is the large PCB in the PC that ya memory, CPU, etc, etc,... plug into. Ya should have a manual for this which'll have the make and model number of the motherboard on it (the mobo itself should have its details printed somewhere on it as well) unless ya have a brand name PC (Dell, Compaq, Gateway, HP,Sony,etc,..). If ya do have a brand name PC then give use the make and model number.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
          mobo = motherboard which is the large PCB in the PC that ya memory, CPU, etc, etc,... plug into. Ya should have a manual for this which'll have the make and model number of the motherboard on it (the mobo itself should have its details printed somewhere on it as well) unless ya have a brand name PC (Dell, Compaq, Gateway, HP,Sony,etc,..). If ya do have a brand name PC then give use the make and model number.
          It's a presario s3200nx stock cept for 256 extra ram that the guy at comp usa said should work but want to go 512x2 or 512x256 what do you suggest for better optimal speed ? also keeping the 6 month future in mind :confused:

Comment

Well PC2100 is the speed rating required though 512MB should be ya sweet spot for XP but if ya dealin' with very large files then 1GB in 2 x 512MB sticks should help ya out (I can't see much point in just replacin' 1 x 256MB for 1 x 512MB stick but ya can do that) and 1GB is the maximum amount of memory that your mobo is rated for. Compaq also recommend the use of Micron brand memory but almost any brand will do.

Comment

Awesome!! thanks a bunch Wiggo!! all I use this comp for is just to play Battlefield 1942 just want to make that game run the best I can with the budget (without wife knowing) hehe, wait till she sees the video card reciept when I purchase it, me = DOG-HOUSE!!

Comment

Originally posted by Zephir
                Awesome!! thanks a bunch Wiggo!! all I use this comp for is just to play Battlefield 1942 just want to make that game run the best I can with the budget (without wife knowing) hehe, wait till she sees the video card reciept when I purchase it, me = DOG-HOUSE!!
                Best way to hide evidence is to burn the reciept, or bury it in your dog house :D
                CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
                Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
                RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
                GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
                PSU: Thermaltake 500w
                SC: Audigy 2 zs
                LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
                Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
                Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Originally posted by AsianBatman
                  Best way to hide evidence is to burn the reciept, or bury it in your dog house :D
                  LMAO!! then I gotta explain wheres the money from checking if she starts bouncing the dough:cry:

Comment

good point, can't help you then. :p Well once you get your stuff, make sure to do some bench marks and post it in the benchmark forum. I would love to see how you do. :cheers:
                    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
                    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
                    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
                    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
                    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
                    SC: Audigy 2 zs
                    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
                    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
                    Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Originally posted by Zephir
                      N/p but what video card are ya gettin'? :?:

Comment

Working...
                      X