Differences between Cas2, Cas2.5, and Cas3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences between Cas2, Cas2.5, and Cas3

This is to help all those who disagree or don't know the differences between the two. The benchmarks were done on the following.

Abit IC7-G i875p chipset
    Twin 256mb Corsair XMS3500
    Pentium 4 2.4c

I ran all these at 275mhz FSB (1100 QDR), with the memory at a 5:4 divider resulting in a 220mhz memory speed. In turn the CPU speed was 3.3GHz

Cas 2 timings (2-2-2-5) (Most nice PC3200/PC3500 use this)

Cas 2.5 (2.5-3-3-7) Low Grade PC3200/PC3500 use this, some PC3700

Comment

Cas 3 (3-4-4-8) Most PC3700 use this and everything over it does

Comment

As you can see, there is a fairly decent difference in the scores for different Cas latencies. Although these differences are noticed moreso in actual gaming, the syntethic benchmarking puts it into perspective. In all, when it comes down to it, some nice Cas 2 timed PC3200 or PC3500 is better than Cas 2.5 or Cas 3 PC3700 and up.

Comment

Just tryin to keep this visible to all the n00bs ;)

Comment

Ya dude that is very informative! I was always wondering how much the CLs effect the speed.

I would like to know why the CPU score was better on the 2.5 than the 2?? maybe its just the benchmark program drunken train of thought in windows... hah

------
            i just noticed: how the hell did I post to this if its locked???

Comment

Bagga...that is barely a difference...3 points..probably due to some sort of program running in the background, because when you restart you computer...it does different things everytime..so the score won't stay static but change everytime you run a test..there is to small of a point difference to even care.
              CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
              Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
              RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
              GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
              PSU: Thermaltake 500w
              SC: Audigy 2 zs
              LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
              Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
              Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

ack. yeah duh... I was totally just spacing out last night..

Comment

That's nice and all that the number changes... But in the realworld, what's the difference?

Comment

I'm a little confused.

I have a 256mb stick of Corsair XMS pc3200 CAS 2.0 - Yet, when I OC my T-bred 2,600, the timings go up since they are set to auto. This inturn ups the CAS to 2.5.

So, originally, they are 7,2,2,2.0 - now they are 8,3,3,2.5 - Which is the better setting? Or should I use expert settings and put the ram timings back to something?

BTW - Could someone specify the optimal timings for this brand of ram, I'm not real confident in "learning through doing". Thx.

Comment

what do u guys thing is better

pc2700 ram with 2-3-3 timings - mushkin blue line

or pc3200 with Cas Latency: 2.5 6-3-3 - geil value

i can get either for about $95?

Comment

You could have just started your own thread....

Get the PC3200 over the PC2700. You should be able to get it to CAS 2 easily, while making PC2700 behave like PC3200 isn't quite as easy.

Comment

thx Yawgm0th,

the guy however said they are winbound chips and said i can easily get it over 3200 speeds.

i dont know to much about ram timings and stuff so im looking to the experts.

Comment

Working...
                          X