Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Memory Question

Hello Everyone.

I have a quick memory question for anyone that can help me out. I just picked up an Athlon XP 2500+ and and Epox mobo. I need to get some ram, and was planning to order from Crucial.

The problem I have is that I am not sure if I should go for the 2700 or the 3200 DDR. The reasoning for me is that since the system only runs at 333 mhz anyway, the 3200 wont help me out much now, but will be better if I upgrade in the future.

The other issue I have is that the CAS timings are different on the chips. The 2700 is CAS 2.5, but the 3200 is CAS 3.

Since the cost difference between the two is negligible (sp?) Im really wondering if the 2700 running at 333 mhz and CAS 2.5 will be faster than 3200 at CAS 3.

Thanks all in advance for your help!

~Bug

Corsair do 3200lltp as cas 2
    Full spec

Timings table
    Frequency (MHz) 200
    CAS# 2.0
    RAS# to CAS# delay 3
    RAS# Precharge 2
    TRAS# 6

Much better & faster than the other offerings.

edit

Comment

Im afraid I dont really understand what you are trying to say here.....

Could you please elaborate a bit?

:?:

Thanks

~Bug

Comment

Try reading this http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/memory_guides.html#

and this http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/...e_dec-2003.pdf

They should give you some idea

Comment

Another thing that ya may want to consider is that if ya goin' to overclock then ya'll soon find that PC2700 is goin' to be ya limiting factor and CAS2 memory operates faster than CAS2.5 or CAS3 (the lower the number the faster the memory, less wait cycles) but what model of EPoX mobo are ya gettin'?

Comment

Hello there!

As of right now, Im not looking to overclock, and nor will this machine in the future.... Its an office machine for a gentleman who doesnt care what his machine does, only that it works and is faster than his current setup (which is a PII 333)

So, I have purchased an EPoX EP-8RDA3+ and a retail Athlon XP 2500+. I am now just trying to figure out which memory is going to be faster for this setup... The 3200 at CAS 3, or the 2700 at CAS 2.5

I know that usually the lower the latency the better, but I didnt know if that would be offset by the jump in clock speed....

Any thoughts?

~Bug

Comment

Well then get some CAS2 PC2700 as this would be the best and is sold by most quality brands but gettin' PC3200 would be a waste unless overclockin'.

Comment

:D

Much thanks Wiggo.

I had figured as much, but the whole CAS latency thing was really throwing me off. I very much appreciate your time and input!

~Bug

Comment

Working...
                X