Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What RAM for these Specs?

Hey all!

I'm new to these forums & new to overclocking! This will be my first custom built PC so please bear that in mind! The main use of this computer is for music production. This means using many different audio tracks at once. Much of this is hard disk dependant but the use of VSTi's & other plug-ins are known for using a lot of RAM.

After doin' much research i've decided to buy the componants shown in my signature. I'm definatly interested in overclocking, yet I only want to overclock to the point where the system is still stable.

My question is, which RAM setup would you recommend for the componants in my sig? I've read quite a bit about the RAM speed having to mirror the FSB of the processor (?) & i'm not 100% sure how to go about this.

(with regards to music production needing lots of RAM)
    I've heard that the intel chipsets prefer 4 sticks of 256 RAM (i want a total of 1gig) as opposed to 2 sticks of 512. Is this true?

In all honestly, having never overclocked / built a pc before, i'm very much in the dark on this issue. As you can tell i don't seem all that clued up & I really could do with someone taking me under their wing & helping me to set up this new rig.

Another issue is cooling. The coolermaster case i have brought comes with 4 fans already installed. 2 at the front for intake, 1 at the top & 1 at the back for exhaust. I know the intel p4 chip comes with a heatsink & fan (i think?) and i've heard that it's pretty good. What other cooling measures would you recommend for the components i've selected so far?

I've also heard that Cubase SX doesn't support Hyper-Threading and will actually be slower with it enabled. Is it easy to disable hyper-threading on the new p4 processor? I still want the option of having HT as i guess someday cubase will support it & it'd be costly to have to update then!

I hope someone can help me with this! It would be most appreciated. I'm extremely interested in learning a lot as i build this system but don't want to make any huge mistakes that could be costly. If you feel you can help me, then it would be ace! Thanks for your time,
    Daz

Originally posted by tech.itch
    (with regards to music production needing lots of RAM)
    I've heard that the intel chipsets prefer 4 sticks of 256 RAM (i want a total of 1gig) as opposed to 2 sticks of 512. Is this true?
    I don't know where this rumor started but the more sticks that ya stick in the more chances that ya overclock will be affected so just use 2 x 512MB modules (I do) and get fast timed PC3200-PC3500 modules.
    [b]In all honestly, having never overclocked / built a pc before, i'm very much in the dark on this issue. As you can tell i don't seem all that clued up & I really could do with someone taking me under their wing & helping me to set up this new rig.
    There are plenty of threads here that will explain what ya need to do and then if ya have any probs get back to us.
    [b]Another issue is cooling. The coolermaster case i have brought comes with 4 fans already installed. 2 at the front for intake, 1 at the top & 1 at the back for exhaust. I know the intel p4 chip comes with a heatsink & fan (i think?) and i've heard that it's pretty good. What other cooling measures would you recommend for the components i've selected so far?
    My 2.4C gets to 3.24GHz with the stock Intel HSF but I'll soon be puttin' a Volcano 7+ on it to go further though there are a few other HSF's out there as well. An intake fan over the AGP/PCI slots in the side panel of the case may also help ya case airflow.
    [b]I've also heard that Cubase SX doesn't support Hyper-Threading and will actually be slower with it enabled. Is it easy to disable hyper-threading on the new p4 processor? I still want the option of having HT as i guess someday cubase will support it & it'd be costly to have to update then!
    Yes hyperthreading can be disabled in the BIOS but I wouldn't do that and Cubase shouldn't slow things down but HT will be of benefit with other processes runnin' in the background.
    [b]I hope someone can help me with this! It would be most appreciated. I'm extremely interested in learning a lot as i build this system but don't want to make any huge mistakes that could be costly. If you feel you can help me, then it would be ace! Thanks for your time.
    If ya come across anything that ya don't understand then just get back to us.

Comment

cheers mate, that's a quality reply :)

been posting on the overclock.co.uk forums before this & it took ages to get a reply (if i got one at all!) so thanks a lot for your help!

What make of RAM do you actually recommend though? From what i can tell the most talked about makes are kingston & corsair. What do you personally use & what types of RAM have issues with the processor?

Thanks again,
      Daz

Comment

I'm usin' 2 older XMS3500 512MB modules in my [email protected] that have timings of 2-2-2-6 though the more recent XMS3500 carries timings of 2-3-2-6 but even when run overclocked with a 5:4 CPU/memory ratio perform better than higher rated PC3700-PC4400 memory that usually have very slow 3-4-4-8 timings at 1:1 ratio (some PC3700 have CAS 2.5 ratings though but still not enough really).

Comment

Thanks for your help wiggo!

Not 100% clued up on timings yet so some of what you said didn't really make a lot of sense! I've got quite a bit of reading up to do before i can start overclocking by the looks of things!

Does anyone else have any suggestions for good RAM modules for use with the componants i've mentioned?

Comment

Working...
          X