Dual Channel DDR question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Channel DDR question

:?: for dual channel DDR, do i need to buy them in a set? or can i just buy two modules from the same manufacturer separately and have them work the same way?

(dazed and confused)

for dual channel you need to have 2 identical sticks...whether you buy them together or separately is up to you.

:cheers:

Comment

Comment

you don't really need to buy the twin set... I got my second corsair stick a months after ..
        you can buy two modules from the same manufacturer separately and they work the same way
        and later I will get the third stick with 512meg so I gonna have DC with 3 sticks:p

Comment

Hi i'm just a little confused with this ram stuff.

I have 1x256 xms3200 and i want to get 1x512mb stick now can i put them together or do i have to get another 256mb stick for the dual channel DDR to work?

when i get a new ram stick do i just put it next to the other one?

Thanks sry for the noob question

Comment

Originally posted by Oz HArdHOusE
            I have 1x256 xms3200 and i want to get 1x512mb stick now can i put them together or do i have to get another 256mb stick for the dual channel DDR to work?
            I'm going to quote myself from just a few posts back:
            Originally posted by minibubba
            for dual channel you need to have 2 identical sticks...
            that means they have to be the same size, manufacturer, everything ;)

as for which slots to put them in, your mobo should have two slots designated to use for dual channel (assuming your mobo supports it), you'll have to check your manual to see which ones to use

Comment

ok thanks so i will get another 1 x 256 :)

Is it possible to have all three slots designated to use for dual channel?

btw i have a Epox 8k5a+ board and it says "The board supports (3) pc1600/2100/2700 184-pins dimms. The dimms is for ddr sdram only

now what if i have 2 x 256mb sticks and 1 x 512mb will the 2 x 256mb sticks still run in dual channel?

Thanks again

Comment

if you put in 3 sticks, you will not get dual channel DDR to work. It will only work with 2 sticks of same size RAM.

If you add the 3rd stick, you'll just get the standard DDR at the total MB of the sticks you put in.

They definitely have to be certain slots as well. I had to check my Motherboard manual to ensure I got the right two. I believe I chose slot 1 and slot 3, as this let me have more air-space between my sticks for cooling. :)

Comment

later I will get the third stick with 512meg so I gonna have DC with 3 sticks
                  so this wont work then.

ok i have looked through my manual and i can't find it anywhere which one's to put them in so how do i find out? i'm pretty sure that this board would support it as well its the 8k5a series board

Comment

sorry man but that epox board is a KT333 board and it does NOT have dual channel

Comment

Arr ok sry for the stuff around :o

i will just go and get the 512 as its at a good price then :)

Comment

The Dual boards are they the nforce2 boards?

Comment

yep, nforce2 is the best way to go
                          :cheers:

Comment

Originally posted by BA.
                            if you put in 3 sticks, you will not get dual channel DDR to work. It will only work with 2 sticks of same size RAM.

If you add the 3rd stick, you'll just get the standard DDR at the total MB of the sticks you put in.

They definitely have to be certain slots as well. I had to check my Motherboard manual to ensure I got the right two. I believe I chose slot 1 and slot 3, as this let me have more air-space between my sticks for cooling. :)
                            No.. I pretty sure can have DC with 3 sticks. currently I have 2x256mb in slot 1 and 3. Remember the slot 1 &2 are Single Channel, put that 2x256mb in slot 1 and 2, then the 512mb in slot 3,
                            I think you will have 1gig of mem in DC...
                            if that doesn't work I'll put the 512mb in my kt400 rig:rolleyes:

Comment

dual means two, and dual channel means 2 channels

dual channel can only opperate with 2 sticks of ram in 2 specific slots, each one with it's own channel. if you have 3-4 slots on your mobo and have ram in all of them, then you are running a lot of memory in single channel mode. Even if you are only using 2 sticks, but have them in the wrong slots, you are still running in single channel.

Comment

Working...
                              X