Poor Win2K network performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Win2K network performance

I'm running two Windows 2000 Professional systems at home. They are networked via a crossover cable. Their IPs are 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.10. Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 For some reason, the network feels especially slow and has always been that way. Any suggestions on what might be causing this? Also, any pointers towards network performance benchmark applications would be appreciated.

Thanks.

have you turned the guest account on?
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Have ya got both nics set to full duplex? :?:

Comment

Yes - if you enable full duplex without a switch you get packet collisions galore
        What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

1. The Guest account - enabling on both systems had no effect on speed.

2/3. Yes, both cards are set to full duplex 10Mbit (one card is older).

Comment

Well the old nic is certainly your bottleneck. :smokin:

Comment

Wiggo I agree the 10MB NIC would not be doing so well for the "network" as a whole but some other things to try might be to issue a ping (yes I know there are better ways but this is cheapest ;-) ) command between the two to see if the cable is as good as it could be, the value should be very low in the 10ms or less range. You actually describe this as a Win 2k Network problem though so I am asuming the network was good before you changed to win2k in which case I am outta my depth here.

Comment

you CAN turn full duplex on when using a crossover cable, that will speed things up. try removing all protocols on both machines except for tcp/ip....
                [space saving sig]
                AMD 0wn3z j00!
                [/space saving sig]

Comment

The pings are consistantly under 10ms. The network only came into being when I built the second PC and this problem has always existed. As for protocols, only TCP/IP is being used.

Comment

turn the darn full duplex off, although they both support it, maybe ya cable is too crap for it, or the drivers are falsely saying the cards support it...

best if u atleast try it wif FDX off, coz i remember when we first encountered that option and were wondering y the neetwork was soo slow when enabled, was coz the hub never supported it, regardless the point still stands

Comment

Do as Albinus & skullshot suggest and set the cards to half duplex.

The other thing, there are two types of slow with networks, latency and bandwidth. By the sounds of your ping test, it's not latency. Try downloading Netstat Live and monitor your transfer speed. You could also try uninstalling all network protocols other than TCP/IP if you haven't done so already.

Comment

Working...
                      X