No announcement yet.

Questions on how to set up a switch, if possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on how to set up a switch, if possible?

Well, I've been using the Linksys 4 port Cable/DSL router w/ built in Switch (BEFSR41 V.2). I love the thing, but want to know if its possible to configure the switch to set up a home network?

Is this possible? I havent been able to track down any useful information to confirm/deny this.. Doesn anyone know how to set up a switch, or have information on it?
    Chris "Raven"
    News Crew - TweakTown
    <!--
    <font size=1>
    <font color=green>Main Beast:</font>
    - Athlon XP 1800+@1701MHz | EPoX 8KHA+ | Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 | GeForce3 Ti200
    - 2x80GB WD 7200RPM | 40x12x48 Sony CDRW | Pioneer 16X DVD
    - Swiftech MCX462+ / Tt Smart Case Fan 2 | Antec 1030SX case w/ 431W Enermax PSU
    </font>
    // -->
    "Look at life like your morning cup of coffee. You might have one every day, yet you still enjoy it."

How to ask a good question

for most smalll switches, you don't need to configure them, but you do need to configure the computers :)
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

The only switches I have worked with are 3Com ones, and they are configured with a patch cord that connects the switch to the serial port. You then use HyperTerminal to connect to the switch and give it an IP address - then you can access and maintain the switch through your web browser :)
      What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

with an unmanaged switch [the kind you have in small networks], the only thing you need to do is set your NICs to use full duplex if they aren't already communicating full-duplex via auto-negotiation.. thats what the FDX/HDX light tells you..

FDX=full duplex
        HDX=half duplex

wait you got a Linksys so it should have a

FULL/COL light right..

if that light stays lit the machine plugged into that port is configured for full duplex.. if it blinks thereis data tranferring to/from that port, it the light changes color you have a collision on the network..

Comment

on that Linksys router/switch you will have to configure it alittle... To do that all you have to do is point your web browser to the gateway address that the router/switch is using. Most of the time it will be 192.168.1.1 Once you do that the default password unless it was changed by the provider will be no username and the password will be admin. Hope this helps. On by the way before you can go to that config page you will have to change your IP on the local machine to 192.168.1.? something besides 1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

Comment

did that work? just checking

Comment

Actually, thats how to setup the Router.. I'm interested in setting up a network using the built in switch.

However, your comment on the setup were 100% correct :thumb:
              Chris "Raven"
              News Crew - TweakTown
              <!--
              <font size=1>
              <font color=green>Main Beast:</font>
              - Athlon XP 1800+@1701MHz | EPoX 8KHA+ | Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 | GeForce3 Ti200
              - 2x80GB WD 7200RPM | 40x12x48 Sony CDRW | Pioneer 16X DVD
              - Swiftech MCX462+ / Tt Smart Case Fan 2 | Antec 1030SX case w/ 431W Enermax PSU
              </font>
              // -->
              "Look at life like your morning cup of coffee. You might have one every day, yet you still enjoy it."

How to ask a good question

Comment

Originally posted by ne0z
                on that Linksys router/switch you will have to configure it alittle... To do that all you have to do is point your web browser to the gateway address that the router/switch is using. Most of the time it will be 192.168.1.1 Once you do that the default password unless it was changed by the provider will be no username and the password will be admin. Hope this helps. On by the way before you can go to that config page you will have to change your IP on the local machine to 192.168.1.? something besides 1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.
                not really <strike>wilmot</strike>neoz, u can actually just create a static route from the command prompt, lets say your ip was 192.168.0.30 and the router was 192.168.1.1 this is a ssuming one NIC and no dialup connections

u just type into command prompt:
                route add 192.168.1.1 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.30 metric 1 if 2

then type:
                route print

just thought i'd point it out...

Comment

Originally posted by skullshot
                  not really wilmot

Wilmot? Check the name, not the avatar
                  What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

my apologies

Comment

Working...