No announcement yet.

What should I look for in a Broadband Modem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I look for in a Broadband Modem?

I`m getting broadband soon and have been looking at the various modems available, and was wondering if anyone can help choose the fastest modem available. I live in the UK so brand names may not be applicable, but any specifics towards performance and what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Go Ethernet, not USB!

I had nothing but problems with my USB ADSL modem trying to share its connect over a network.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Hmm it really depends on what is available, usually its best to go with the one that the cable company provides unless it’s ridiculously overpriced. I have a Motorolla modem it works great. As far as choosing the one that is the fastest... well lets just say that most modems are limited by the service provider on how fast they are, amount of users in area, and even signal strength where u live. I guess if u decide to get a modem go with something with a decent warranty and is somewhere in the middle of the price range.

Comment

Thanks Guys, I`ll have a look at Ethernet.

Again Thanks

Comment

Sorry, I have no idea about networking and Ethernet so can you tell me what I need?

I`m guessing that the Intel® PRO/1000 MT Gigabit is an Ethernet card, so if I had that and an Ethernet based modem is it simply a case of plugging the modem into the card or do I need any special adapters or other devices.

Many Thanks

Comment

Yep but you won't need gigabit network or just an expensive NIC - just a standard 10/100 NIC will do.
            Managing Director
            Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

I keep getting told that I don`t need Ethernet just use USB, but after your comment I`m inclined to go with Ethernet, but looking around I can`t seem to find any appropriate modems, there either USB or 56k ones.

Please can someone suggest a decent one (Brand and Model) as I`m buying monday.

Many Thanks

Comment

If you don't intend on sharing your connection over a network, a USB modem will do the trick.
                Managing Director
                Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Working...
                X