Network cards and DSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network cards and DSL

Sorry if this has already been posted as I have no knowledge whatsoever of this so I wouldn`t know what to look for anyway, but I`m building a new system and I will be using a DSL connection once completed, but I have recently heard that you need a network card to maximise effectiveness, now to me I`ve always presumed network cards were to do with the literal networking of 2 or more systems together, nothing to do with internet connections. Can anyone clarify this for me, and suggest a good card to get, I`m currently looking at a INTEL PRO/1000 MT GIGABYTE DESKTOP ADAPTER, which as I said earlier actually means nothing to me and could very well be the completely wrong card.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have that on my pc as you can see, its complete over kill but in college im going to they ahve t3 connection speeds, nto sure what really but I know they download at like 20mbs a sec and Im just getting ready for that.

Comment

All ya really need is a 10Mbps nic but a 10/100 nic will do though a 1000Mbps nic would be a waste. ;)
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Hehe, and for starters you'd find it a bit hard connection to an ADSL service without some type of NIC. ;)
        Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
        Managing Director
        Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Actually, a simple 10mbit card would be enough, depending on what advertising speed your dsl will have. If you stay below the 10mbit a faster NIC wont improve your speed. The drivers and the manufacture make more sence, 3com, realtek and intel will do.

xRave

Comment

I`ve always presumed network cards were to do with the literal networking of 2 or more systems together, nothing to do with internet connections
            you're right on the first part! :thumb:
            but what do you think you're connecting when you're on internet. Other computers! They arent in the same building, but its still a network (or a network of networks).

Hope this clarified it a lil

Comment

I've used some very expensive 3Com & Intel NIC's, as well as the cheapest Dlink and GVC cards (<$11 cdn)....and never had a problem with any

...don't get carried away with a NIC for a home DSL connection - you don't need to spend much

Comment

Working...
              X