Cutting a computer off from the internal (home) network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting a computer off from the internal (home) network

I have 3 computers behind a four port Linksys BEFSR41 router on my home network, connected to the internet via cable modem. I've turned one of the computers into a FTP server.

I would like to cut the FTP server off from the internal network, while still giving it access to the internet through the router/cable modem (remembering all 3 systems are behind the same router). I want to do this in case the FTP server becomes compromised somehow. I figure it won't be able to do any damage to the other computers if it's cut off from the internal network. But of course, it still needs internet access.

Someone on another board suggested that I use the Filter option on the Linksys admin. I tried that, but unfortunately it cut the FTP server off from internet access, instead of cutting it off from the internal network.

I'm not real good with networking, so maybe what I'm suggesting isn't even possible:-( But I was hoping to get some suggestions.

I do have a second, identical router. Would I be able to create two seperate networks on them (one for the FTP server, and one for the other two machines), and then give them both internet access through the cable modem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Do you want to be able to access the FTP server through your LAN at any point in time and have the ability to turn it off when needed or have it be totally seperate w/o being able to access it through LAN in the first place??

Comment

Totally separate from the LAN. I don't want it to be able to access the other computers through the LAN, and vice versa.

Comment

According to linksys there is a filter feature that will allow you to block your FTP server from accessing your LAN
        here's what they say
        You can also filter users by entering their network port number. Enter the port numbers you want to filter into the port numbers fields. Users who are connected to the Router will no longer be able to access any port number listed there.
        I am more familiar with cisco routers than the Linksys, but that should work.
        anyway here's the link
        http://www.linksys.com/support/support.asp?spid=1

Let us know if it works or not.

Comment

Working...
        X