No announcement yet.

Need guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So wait, you've gotten a new modem from the ISP? Does it work like it did when you first got DSL setup? I mean without the router, like when you initially got it set up?

Originally posted by yuri yavari
    I can get to the modem config page thru the dial up method.Not sure how it works...
    My question about this is, do you still access the modem through the IP 192.168.0.1? If so, then you're not accessing it through a dial up. You have a valid ethernet connection to that modem.

Comment

I apologize for being such a pain.This set up ordeal is almost two weeks in the making,and I still can't get it to work.the whole ordeal about the dial up might have been some kind of anomoly,i am not sure.
      My isp gave me a 3rd modem,sometimes the modem wont reset.This appears to be a hardware defect in the modem.Some of the other problems are USER error.The fact that the modem is also a router has caused lots of problems with the linksys router setup.The isp asked me not to reconfigure this modem,and try to use the linksys as a regular switch.I decided t try again to set the modem as a bridge.
      At this time,I have one pc working through the router.The other one wont work.When it boots up,it obtains an address that it wont release. The addy is also not in the range of the DHCP server in the router.As usual,I'm cluelesss.

Comment

Ah, good. I was going to have you set it to bridge mode, and use the router configured the way you have it. So that sounds good. the fact that you have one machine running through the router tells me that the modem and DSL connection are good, and the router is setup correctly. Plus that one machine is setup correctly. About the machine that is not working, what IP address is it getting?

Comment

Now it gets interesting...........lol
          I will say that in the two weeks I have been fighting this mess,I have learned a lot.Probably much more that I would have if it just worked from the beginning.With that being said. I did have one pc working through the router in the very beginning,so I actually havent made much progress,just got back to square one.
          When I do a winipcfg on the non working pc, I get the following addy :169.254.21.168. It should be something like 192.168.1.2.
          I cannot get it to release,and if I try to enter a static addy(thats in the range of the router dhcp server) it still will not connect.I must be overlooking something.The pc that is working is running ME,and the non working one is a dual boot with 98 and XP.
          Thanks a ton for your patience. This has been a very trying ordeal.

Comment

well, this one's gonna be easy. The IP that machine is getting is an autoconfig address. If that machine is setup to obtain an IP from a DHCP server, and is unable to. The NIC will use it's own.

Basically there are only a few causes of this problem. One is the ethernet cable. Make sure you have a straight through cable between the router and the computer. Also make sure it's a known good ethernet cable.

next, make sure your TCP/IP settings are correct. They should be set to obtain everything automatically. That's pretty much it, aside from re-installing TCP/IP itself.

But you said this machine is a dual boot, with Win98 and XP, it's unlikely that TCP/IP is corrupted on both.

The same goes for the NIC itself. It's unlikely that the drivers are corrupted on both OS's. But you could re-install the NIC drivers.

And in worst case, it's the actual NIC hardware. Which you would have to get a new one if it has failed.

Comment

Here is a bit more info..The pc did work with this cable.I downloaded mp3's with it connected directly to the modem.That was a few days ago.Whe I try and connect,
              Windows xp gives me a "network cable unplugged" nag message.
              The only other thing that I have noticed is that the working pc has a check box on the winipcgf page for IP routing enabled.The non working pc has this box grayed out.I am unsure how to change it,or of I need to.
              One more thing.There are corresponding lights on the router for each port on the router.
              When I turn off the working pc,those lites go out.
              When I turn off the non-working pc,the same lites do not go out.they just continue to blink.

Comment

That thing with the router lights and XP complaining about the network cable sounds like a bad ethernet cable. Make sure it is a straight through cable as opposed to a crossover cable.

As far as the "IP Routing" enabled thing when you run winipcfg. This is of course happening on the Win98 side. This is incorrect TCP/IP settings. My suggestion is that you remove TCP/IP from the network control panel, re-boot, re-install it, re-boot, and leave that as it is. That should be ok.

Comment

I just ohmed out each wire in the cable.they show good.I made the cable so I wanted to triple check it.With each connector side by side(with the spring clip pointing down)the wires follows the same color pattern.I believe this is correct for straight through.The cable did previously work,so I'm reasonably sure this is not the problem.I'll will play a bit more with the IP routing thing....Thanks.

Comment

I can now get the DHCP server table to show it has assigned a good addy to the pc,but it still wont connect.It appears to connect,then disconnect over and over.Maybe I bought a defective router????

Comment

When you say it seems to connect and disconnect over and over what do you mean? Still the router and the operational machine are fine right?

Comment

Yes,the WinMEmachine, and the router are fine.When I boot in 98,sometimes I get that bogus addy that you explained and sometimes I get a good addy from the DHCP server on the router,but still no internet connection.The lites on the nic card,and router pulsate on and off.This machine is a dual boot with XP on it as well.If I boot up in XP,I get a network cable unplugged messages that clears then comes back,over and over.It is almost as though someone is physically unplugging the cable,then plugging it back in.I dont think it is a settings problem,because both operating systems are affected.If I boot up, and get a good addy from the router, it will show good in the DHCP server table,but I still have no internet connection.The whole connection appears to pulse on and off. This Soyo motherboard has a built in SiS Ethernet card,but I have never enabled it.Pretyy dar weird............lol

Comment

If you can, try another NIC in that machine. If your mother board has a nic built on that's never been enabled, and you've been using an add-in card, try using the nic on the motherboard. Oro try another add-in card. That's pretty much what I'm down to.

Comment

HAHAHA......I know what you mean.This was supposed to take about 2 hours,not 2 days..:)
                            I have made so many changes,I am unsure how some of it works.I thought about just connecting the pc to the modem,but for some reason when this particular modem is in bridge mode,it wont connect without the router.this really doesnt sound right,but this is how its working anyway.Thanks for all of you time.I really appreciate it.

Comment

No problems. Just so you know the reason your modem won't connect in bridge mode and connected directly to a computer is because it's not logging you in through PPPoE anymore. It's expecting you to do that through WinPoet or Windows XP's built in PPPoE.

Comment

I had the same "network cable unplugged" prob with my Intel nic in my SE/XP dual boot and the prob was the XP drivers for it and the fact that it wasn't fully assembled to take advantage of all the chipset features so in SE where I could disable the cable check, in XP no provision is given to do the same. Another nic cured the prob. ;)
                                <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Working...
                                X