Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with shared adsl connection

I have a 500 adsl connection
    I use a router and a hub with a total of three pcs sharing the same connection
    win xp pro
    all works fine

but if i try to play quake 3 and someone else tries to open web pages or check their emails i get major disruption

Is there a way to limit the bandwidth the othe pcs use so my quake 3 connection is not disrupted

At the moment I just pull out the cables from the other pcs from the hub

this does not make me popular

thx

what model router?

Comment

this one

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware..._aam6000ev.asp

Comment

I'm not sure, but using a switch instead of a hub may help as it should eliminate the collisions that may be causing the problems. Could you borrow one to try?

Comment

from the few adsl routers i've seen, i would make an educated guess to say that bandwidth limiting will be non existent, however it might be worth your while checking for a firmware upgrade just in case.

i have 1.5mbps adsl and host my website on it. when me and my flatmate are playin DoD we get lag if even one dialupper visits the site, our pings spike from 40 to 1500 or even 3 secs..

aside from using software to proxy everyone thru (and bandwidth limit them) i cannot think of any other way out..

we have tried to stop our conection lagging up when we get hits on the website, we tried using a different adsl modem, a good switch instead of our hub on the network, we even tried bandwidth limitin the web server, all is to no avail, the most effective method of stopping it that we have found yet, is to pull the plug on the webserver while we playin (and that annoys a few of the regulars that visit it lol)

Comment

Working...
          X