Network drive names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network drive names

I have a problem with network maped drives not coming up with there names (e.g. they only have the drive letter o:, h:, etc), it's constant per machine but not machine type.
    have had a look and can't figure out what does it, any ideas?

Unless each drive on each PC has a specified shared name for each drive/partition then yes they will just show up as letters. I'm not real sure yet with XP but in 9x oses when you share the drive/partition it also allows you to name the drive as well for network purposes and if this isn't done then just drive letters show up but I'd imagine XP to be similar. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Well theese are running off logon scripts and most of them are '98, the drives normally come up with the name of the share (eg: user$ on server (h:)), but instead on every couple of computers it just comes up with h: instead.

Comment

Ok, well on not sure on the shared users part as all five PC's here login as themselves.

Comment

It's running on a domain in a school, so the upper grade kids have figured it out, but it's a bit awward in the lower grades.

Comment

For the kids in the lower grades, why not just put a shortcut for the network drive or directory on the desktop and name it whatever you want? That would make it pretty easy for them to find.

Comment

Now there's an idea and you could have the shortcuts in the quicklaunch bar or another folder out of general site as well. ;)

Comment

Problem being they are set in there ways :( it wouldn't rerally be an issue if they were able to be flexable.

Comment

Working...
                X