No announcement yet.

Please Help! What am I doing wrong while setting up an access point with an old router?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help! What am I doing wrong while setting up an access point with an old router?

Hello!

I am trying to set up an access point with a set of power adapters and an old router using instructions found here: Using an old router as a DIY wireless Access Point.

I get "Limited Connectivity" and no access to the internet when I try to connect to the access point.
    Would anyone be able to check my screenshots and identify where it all went wrong please (pretty please)?
    There were a couple of areas where I was unsure.

The IP address of the main router is: 192.168.0.1
    The IP address of the router that I am trying to make an Access Point: 192.168.0.2

I've done the set up over and over for hours and I seem to be stuck every time.
    Thank you in advance!

Here is the link to the PDF I created with screenshots.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4g...it?usp=sharing

Thank you again!
    Marian

Re: Please Help! What am I doing wrong while setting up an access point with an old router?

How are you connecting the 2 routers it should be network port to network port NOT WAN ports you dont set a static wan ip on the second router as its not on WAN. Have you tried connecting to the second router with a network cable get that working first

Comment

Re: Please Help! What am I doing wrong while setting up an access point with an old router?

Hi,

To use a router as a Switch or Wireless AP you will need to turn off DHCP on the router, having this enabled on two routers will cause problems on your network.

What is the IP address of the router you want to use as an AP?

Comment

Working...
      X