Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximize the speed?

Me and my girlfriend is planning to move to another town,
    in the new apartment we will be using a 100 Mbit broadband for about 30 us$ per month, this is quite new since the best connections here in sweden (for private persons)
    use to be 10 Mbit.

Anyhow, is there any better network cabel i can use to maximize our speed to the computer? I use a cheap cat5 cabel between my computers and want to know if there are som better type of cabel i should use instead?
    And how mutch does the cable lenght affect the speed?

:confused:

um......are you sure your INTERNET is running at that high speed? I dought your even running 10mbit for internet. Unless your thilthy rich and have money to burn.............but I think that's the speed of your network. However any cable will be fine. If your running 10mbit network your internet doesn't reach those speeds so you should be ok. I'm running cat5e 100mbit network and I'musing the max my internet can do.

Comment

My local network between my computer is 100 Mbit, the connection out on the internet will be 100 Mbit to.

However i realize that i never be able to reatch that speed, it's
      only the theoretical speed of the broadband.

The big company that offers 10 Mbit has been measured to about
      7-7,5 Mbit real speed in and out. So i don't really know how fast the 100 Mbit version will be in. And it is also only about 120 apartments in the whole country which has this 100 Mbit connection at this time.

Comment

I also talked to an american girl a while ago that told me that the prices for internet connections in the us are insane, she paid about 50-55 us$ per month for 0,5 Mbit in and out!!
        At least she told me that, i can't be sure though but she had no reason to over exaggerate.

Comment

um lol what kind of connection are you talking about? You do relize taht 100megbits is twice the speed of T3 speeds right? Bill Gates himself doesn't even have that. Only corporations have that. My school network doesn't even have a T3.

Comment

So if this is true there seem to be a huge difference in price for this kind of services in the us vs Sweden.

Comment

I'm not sure about sweeden....but I do know that internet is an international standard.

But exactly what internet connection are you referring to?

T3 is 45mbit/s and costs several THOUSAND!

Comment

Yes i realize that, most of my friends have T3 connection and it is nothing special with that. It can never be to fast can it?

:)

Comment

Oops, let me make a huge correction here. My friends have "only"
                  10 Mbit connections that is faster than the swedish t2 but also mutch slower than the 45 Mbit t3 connection.

100 Mbit speed that i mentioned is only between the companys customers, as two users in different locations in sweden using the same isp can send and recive data from eatch other with the speed of 100 Mbit. But out on the web is only 10 Mbit.
                  Sorry if i messed everything up i am quite drunk.

Comment

ok that 100 is understandable cuase its on the same network!
                    but what do you mean your friends "only" have a 10 meg connection? I have barely a 1meg connection. Look at this thread and you'll see a huge variety of internet connections.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthre...5&pagenumber=1

Comment

What i meant was that "10 Mbit" is'nt really a connection to complain about.

:)

Comment

ya but either is my 1meg connection....I'm doing just fine with it.

Comment

It's actually quite something to say you have a 100mbit connection bvetween fellow customers of the same company. If you have 100mbit with anyone outside your house you must be running coax, fiber, or be within a couple hundred FEET of the switching station.

As far as cabling, CAT5 Unshielded will work, to squeeze a couple percent more out of it i would get Cat6e Shielded. Standard Cat cabling will go 185m fine, so your not gonna need to worry about length. Unless your Swedish "apartment" is similiar to your "slow" swedish internet, and you live in a 10,000 ft2 mansion.

Comment

So it's pretty much a large network? Those speeds are achievable but it costs. Not as much as a t3+ connection tho.

Comment

but you gotta think about what type of connecting cable they're using that is capable of those speeds in such a large network

the only tow wires you could use are fiber optic and cat5, but cat5 only reaches 185 meters, so what do you conclude? :rolleyes:

Comment

Working...
                              X