T4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T4

With all the connections out there. I was told that T3 is no where near the fastest internet connection. There are several more connections that are so much faster then a T3 yet so much more expensive and probably only for multi cazillion dollar companies. The words T4 and OC3 and OC3-256 came up. There is such thing as a T4 its just very rare though right?

I know T4 exists, I don't know about it's rarity though. Any you're right, it's no where near the fastest connection. Where I work, we have dual OC-48's connecting us to another of our offices. Here's a list of quite a few connections.

http://cybertekit.dhs.org/computer/netinfo/netinfo.html

Comment

wow cool thanks. Ya I see that T4 is on the list. Excellent. I'm not getting a T4 though I was just wondering cause my brother asked me a question and he got flamed for his answer and I just need some facts to help back him up. It says that ADSL is up to 8megbit. That means if I lived closer I would get that much?

Comment

It's possible. But most telco's do cap at 1.5 megabit.

Comment

that's what I thought I think mine does that. Then again I'm not totally sure so I'll keep quiet for now.

Comment

Here's some news on a new connection speed record.

Researchers in Europe have succeeded in setting a new world record for internet speeds, sending data at a rate of 483 megabits per second - nearly 500 times faster than even a well equipped home or business user can normally expect to achieve. The record was set over an ordinary internet connection running for 2,518km between Slovenia and Spain, using the new Ipv6 protocol. While the technique has been available for some years, most parts of the internet do not use the protocol because to do so would require extensive upgrading of hardware and software. In setting the record, 483mb of data were transferred in 11.73 seconds, equating to a speed of 1215 terabits per second, from Ljubljana in Slovenia to Madrid, via Milan, Geneva and Vienna.

Comment

now I wonder when I can get my hands on some of that? :?:

Comment

Mmmmm... fast internet :D.

OC stands for Optical Carrier, and uses multimode optical fibre to transmit signals.

OC-1 runs at around 50 megabits a second (something like 51.84, if my memory is accurate), and as you go up the OC scale, the bandwidth is increased factorially.

i.e: OC-3 = 155.52 megabits a second

OC-256 would run at 13271.04 megabits a second, pretty damn nice :).

Comment

wow internet really is fast! I mean it is really capable with the various technologies. I'll tell yuh it really puts my 950Kbits/s to shame! Let alone a T3.

Comment

I'm fairly happy with my 1.5mbit connection but of course T4 would go down nicely... :)
                    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
                    Managing Director
                    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Through the use of SONET / OC-192.. you can get speeds of up to 9953.28Mbps... *drools*

Comment

lol ya....but personally past a certain point one person wouldn't notice such a thing. Of course this is designed for huge corporations and world wide webservers and stuff like I'm jsut saying at that speed that you just mentioned you could download a 1.2gig file in about 1 second.

Comment

You've got to remember that bandwith is all theoretical, really... though I'm sure we'll be seeing 1.2GB files being transferred in milliseconds one day :).

Comment

YA woohoo But that one day probably won't be to impressive. As back in the day we had 12baud modems but what were we download?G TEXT! Now we have people download MP3's and software and huge graphic intensified webpages. Or we could surevive with small hard drives "back in the day" cause there was nothing to take up alot of space. Now we have multi gig worth of games and music on our PC's. So its all connected. That 1.2GIG file may end up being nothing more then half a meg to us now in the future. ;)

Comment

I2 is also around. It may just be a certain OC but it's all virtual reality, they have surgeons do operations through it.

Anyway eventually people will be calling OC-1 very slow :rolleyes2 It will be the new 56k...

Comment

Working...
                              X