Trendnet TEW-713RE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trendnet TEW-713RE

Got this little range extender because of purchasing a smart TV and placing it at the opposite end of the house where the Netgear WNDR3400 is located. The TV had trouble picking up a consistent signal. In fact it preferred my neighbors signal over 50 ft farther away than my own router!
    The range extender, even tho physically small did install easily enough and worked to expectation. My laptop jumped from 2 bars up to 5. The TV connected and streamed Amazon prime movies to perfection.. Using a program called inSSIDer on my laptop I could see the new extenders signal was stronger.

Since that first day or two it has performed erratically. Pages take 15 seconds to load at times. The TV drops the connection....performs poorly when forced back on it. My laptop improves radically when the extender is unplugged.

Trying to avoid moving my router closer to the center of the house to take care of the TV issue as it has several hardwired connections to legacy pcs that would be a mess to extend.

Have moved the extender around .....closer and further from the router....all locations that had at least two bars of signal strength. Sometimes you think you found the right spot as it works well...but then goes erratic again.

Can't find any mention on the internet of problems with this model tho admittedly it is fairly new. There is a new firmware upgrade available from Trendnet, but the only symptoms it corrects have to do with Russian language fixes so I haven't installed it. There are scant instructions on how to download new firmware anyway. They do say to hardwire it to your computer for the download and give power to it.....but then what?

Anyway it acts as tho the two routers are "thrashing" ...i.e. my laptop is getting data from the extender, then something from the 3400 interrupts it (duplicate data?) so both stop and start all over again ad infinitum. Just a guess.
    the set up procedure gives no recourse for settings in the extender. As far as I can see it duplicates all the settings of the feeding router except for adding a "2" to the name (SSID). I already have a 2 ending the name of the main router, so apparently it added another 2 after a space (which seems illegal). BTW there is only one router. The 2 is simply a suffix of a name for a newer router installed about 8 months ago.
    So I am hoping someone out there has a suggestion.

Re: Trendnet TEW-713RE

change the wireless channel of the extender.

Comment

Wish I could chg the channel on the extender but, AFAIK, I have no control over ANY of the settings in it. Channel conflict was the primary reason for looking at the network with inSSIDer....to check out the channels. The main Netgear is set for channel 2. So was the extender!

Since the only thing I could chg was the Netgears channel so I did to channel 11 and tested.

The extender would not function.

inSSIDer showed the Netgear to properly be on 11 ....and, as I'd wished, the extender on 2. But it would not work.
      This is when I cabled the extender to the laptop and tried to get into it manually using addressing suggested by the Trendnet website to see what I could see but was unsuccessful.
      Removing the cable and pushing the buttons on both to initiate the connection, it fired up and worked again. inSSIDer showed it now to be on channel 11!
      So there is again a duplicate of all essential info from the main router, including the password, burned into the extender. Except for the name which I noted has added a space and the number 2 . Such as backroom2 2.
      In the next couple of days, when I can catch it when no one is home using the network, I plan to chg the name of the Netgear to simply backroom without the 2 suffix. Just to see what happens.

But in the meantime thx for the suggestion. And if anyone has another pls let me know.

Comment

UPdate: I bit the bullet and got enough cursed cable to relocate my main Netgear router to the center of the house. Pain in the neck, but everything works well including the smart TV as it is fully within healthy range of the signal.
        The little extender continued to fark things up....at least I'm blaming it for them. Printer stopped communicating requiring several hours of troubleshooting to fix. Don't know why it stopped working, but reloading all firmware and drivers on everybodys device got it back to life.
        The TEW even started broadcasting a NEW SSID....backroom2 3 changing the last 2 to a 3. That's when I gave up and ordered the Ethernet cables and unplugged the TEW. It's in a drawer now where it will probably stay. Shoulda done this in the first place.

Comment

Working...
        X