Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Troubles

Heres the story:

I have just installed Mandrake 9.0 on my PC (I am a major n00b at Drake having only just decided to learn linux). It is installed on a secondary partition on my XP drive and is booting up perfectly.
    This PC is a client on the network connecting to the internet through an XP box via a crossover cable.

I am able to ping the server and telnet to my linux box from the server but I cannot for the life of me get my linux box to connect to the internet through my XP server. I also have no clue as to what I am doing wrong. I have setup the network giving static IPs etc. BUt for some reason, it doesn't wanna connect to the net. Is this due to the fact that linux and xp are incompatable with each other or what?

BTW: Love Linux, from what I have learnt so far, it is much more powerful than windows will ever be. :thumb:

Have you setup ICS or similar program on the XP box? :?:

Comment

I have no problem using the Internet when I am running this box on XP, only when I am running it on Linux.

Comment

have you set a DNS server and a default gateway? (i'm not sure how much you know about networking)
        TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

I've set the gateway to the servers IP address

I set the DNS server the same too

both at 192.168.0.1

Comment

on the server have you set a DNS server or gateway?
            TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

the server is set as a gateway

Comment

ok, now back to wiggo's question: Have you setup ICS or similar program on the XP box?
                TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Well assuming that I use this PC on Windows through the gateway then ICS must be set up. Am I right?

Comment

Hey Slamo how about I move this to the Network and Internet forum as a few there (FA-MAS, etc) I believe have the knowledge to fix this for ya? :?:
                    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

OK, lets do that :thumb:

Comment

Found the problem

On Linux I had ICS enabled and it was trying to share the connection with a box that didn't exist. I just disabled that and it works perfectly now.

Thanks anyway guys, it was my stupidity.

Comment

Yes now that would sure fix it.

Comment

grrrrr...............now its not working again

Comment

Working...
                            X