Netgear Ads Router and Sharing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netgear Ads Router and Sharing

I have three machines runing Windows Xp and Windows ME on it. i have purchased a Netgear DG814 Adsl Router and am having trouble stting up internbet connection sharing and dont know what tcp/ip i should be using on which machines. all the machines have a network card in them . Any help will be highly appreciated

With a router you don't need to set up internet connection sharing. A router handles all those troubles for you. I'm assuming you already have an active internet connection be it cable or dsl. You just plug all the PC's in there separte ports or you can come off one of the ports with a hub and plug all the PC's in that hub. That's how my network is set up. Then the port on the back of the router is the uplink port. That's the port the modem gets plugged into.

Comment

i know that in windows xp i dont have to configure TCP/ip. what about in windows ME or 98.

also would this same router allow me file sharing and printing as well without configuting the TCP/IP. also what about the issue with network names, etc

Comment

configuring any machine should be basically the same thing. Although I think 98 and ME are bit more difficult. I haven't been on a 9x based machine in quite a while I have none in my home so I couldn't get on one and check the settings. As for printer sharing its simple I have a laser printer hooked up to my server and the printer is up for share server is plugged into port one on the router I have an inkjet printer up for share on MY computer which is plugged into the hub which is plugged into port 3 on the router. Its all simple file sharing is just as simple. As for networking names and net sends. I haven't quite figured it out entirely cause there is still some problems that we got like I can't net send my dad. But basically its whatever you want as long as its not the same name as the actual computer. For Example My computer name is respawndemon my user name is demon. If someone were to netsend me they would do it to respawndemon. In my network places my printer shows up something like hp deskjet 840c on respawndemon.

Comment

You don't need to use internet connection sharing in windows. Setting up the router is all you need to do. Connect the cables from the nics in the computers to the router. The cable from the dsl modem goes the uplink or wan port (it is probably labeled one of those). Many dsl providers register a mac address (every piece of network hardware has a mac address, think of it as sort of a social security number for hardware). When you log on the isp checks to see if the registered nic is making the request (this is to keep other people from uning your account). Your router can be set to always report the same mac address. The mac address you will want to use is the one from the nic on the machine origionally used to setup the account. You will probably need to know it the isp uses PPPOE for conections when you set up the router. Read through the router manual to see what info you will need to know about the isp and its protocals. Fire up your browser, enter the url in the manual, and follow the setup proceedure. Your existing network will not change. Any computer on the network can access the internet the same way the original one did. More than one computer can even surf at the same time. This is sort of general, but I don't have a router like yours, so I can't give you an exact step-by-step.

Comment

I think bigjack has answered it but i just want to verify.
            can i use a router to connect my lan to the Internet without my ISP knowing about it and just seeing it as a single computer?
            let me know.

Comment

yes you can, but it depends how the ISP monitor that, some ISPs log your network card from your computers MAC address and expect that and only that to be connected to them, but one of netgears routers can get around that by changing its mac address to match your computers

Comment

Originally posted by Birdkiller
                yes you can, but it depends how the ISP monitor that, some ISPs log your network card from your computers MAC address and expect that and only that to be connected to them, but one of netgears routers can get around that by changing its mac address to match your computers
                do you know which model would do that?
                thanks

Comment

Most routers on the shelf today support the reporting of a specific mac address I think. My Belkin does, as do the Linksys and D-link.

Comment

Working...
                  X