Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New home network!!

Hi all,

Getting a new system on Saturday - I want to network with my existing system with cross-over cable and 2 x 10/100 network cards.

For sharing internet and playing CS over internet.

Can anyone recommend a good brand - I am thinking Netgear, Dlink, SMC but don't really know which is the best to go for.

Recommendations appreciated!
    :?: :confused:

i highly reccomend the Intel PRO/100 NIC...ive recently bought one and it rocks!!! :D :thumb:
    At the request of wiggo ;)

Comment

pro100 is good yes, and if u get two the pro100/100+ software you can get supports trunking/load balancing between NICs and more...
      SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
      Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Comment

the PRO 100 rox j00...but, theres also the SMC cards, 3com, and netgear are good. hell if you want reliable, simple networking, u could even just get a pair of tulips, anything as long as its not a realtek-based card

Comment

agreed with sks on the realteks - big no unless you have no money or the systems you are putting them in mean **** to you (or your parents are gonna buy the nic to replace the dead one in ur netserver yet wont pay 64 for an intel (dont ask)
          SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!

Comment

:)
            Thanks people,

I think I will get a pair of Netgear FA311TX cards, unless anyone ha heard bas things about these...

Can't wait - my first network..!!:D

Comment

come to MorBius and give them a real try out ;) (SEE BELOW)

Comment

Originally posted by SileNceR
                agreed with sks on the realteks - big no unless you have no money or the systems you are putting them in mean **** to you (or your parents are gonna buy the nic to replace the dead one in ur netserver yet wont pay 64 for an intel (dont ask)

rofl, i take that as ur gettin a realtek nic for your netserver...hahaah
                At the request of wiggo ;)

Comment

I've been runnin' a couple of Realteks here for a couple of years now with no probs at all which I can't say for one particular Intel one that won't work with XP. :?:
                  <center></center>

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Reaper

rofl, i take that as ur gettin a realtek nic for your netserver...hahaah
                    correction - already have - got it with my gf3

"I've been runnin' a couple of Realteks here for a couple of years now with no probs at all"

i had an 8139 crap(ping) out on me and its in my bros box, at morbius it was causing 99% of the errors on the switch and the other 1% was a 10mbit card at half duplex getting flooded...

and then the 8019 in the netserver sucked so i put an 8029 in and its ****ed (random reboots n freezes) so now its got an 8139c...

Comment

Actually, the most trouble free cards I've ever used are the Acer ALN-201's (Realtek 8029 chipset). They are very reliable, and I have NEVER had any problems running under Win95/98/ME/2000/XP and Linux.

Funny - different people, different experiences I suppose LOL
                      What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

all i buy are the realtek chipset cards (linksys is my fav) they have performed very very well for me, except when i think i put the linksys in my machine, (but actually put the SMC card in) and cant get the damn linksys drivers to take?? hahaha!! :geek:
                        [space saving sig]
                        AMD 0wn3z j00!
                        [/space saving sig]

Comment

I have finally settled in my network - both computers running XP using inbuilt PPOE and ICS.

Sweet.

Only potential problem is no full funtionality for ICQ I think. Anyone have a suggestion for an alternative to ICS on XP??

Or else I am simply waiting for Winroute to support XP since it has built in ICQ support apparently.

Comment

winroute.. n it should work on anytrhign but dont look at me if it doesnt.. or just use ics as a gateway not a proxy server..

Comment

Originally posted by jcman
                              Winroute to support XP since it has built in ICQ support apparently.
                              i use winroute pro on winxp to admin the connection sharing on a win98 machine and i didn't and don't have any probs with getting it to work with winxp
                              TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Working...
                              X