10/100 Mbps and 350mhz cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10/100 Mbps and 350mhz cables

OK, is your network speeds from pc to another affected through you grade of cable...(i.e. enhanced cat 5 350 opposing regular cat 5)

and do these cables limit you from using 100 mbps (i.e. connecting a regular cat 5 cable to a 100 nic and router limiting me only to use 10mbps)

Thank you

any typos are due to the fact that i am in a hurry...thanks again:)
    - Damien

For all the CAT regulation cables, all the cable needs to do is meet the minimum requirements for that specification. The cable may be capable of so much more, but as long as it meets the minimum.

However, both CAT 5 and 5e support speeds of at least 100Mbps.. so you should be fine.

Comment

If you have a REALLY crappy cable then it might not run at 100Mbps, or it might also have problems with reliabilaty at that speed, which will also slow it down.

Comment

See thats what i thought...that it would support both 10 or 100 no matter what cable.
        Conserning what segiy mentioned is the 5e much more enhanced? will i get true 100mbps oppsing the regular cat 5...what do those 350 mhz actually do?

Thanks Again Guys:)
        - Damien

Comment

Cat 5e or CAT 6 will work a little more reliably with gigabit 1000Mb/s speeds. ither than that there's little difference.

Comment

The thing is that my friend and i got into a discussion...he is saying that the only way to run 100Mbps is through 5e and a regular category 5 cable will only run at 10mbps even when the hard ware supposrt a 100Mbps setting...i disagree...i told him that 10 or 100 depends on your hardware both being a 100mbps compatiable (i.e. router is 10/100 and nic is 10/100) ...cables give that 100mbps setting a better frequency since 5e runs at 350mhz opposing the 100mhz froma cat 5 cable..

Is any of that correct?....
            - Damien

Comment

The cat3 cables are the ones that are only for 10mbps. Cat5 meets the specs for 100mbps. You are correct in that the hardware determins the network operating speed. The whole segment will operate at the speed of the lowest rated part. If everything is rated for 100mbps, then that is what it will operate at, barring no faulty equipment. Remember too that some nics require that they be in a bus-mastering slot in the computer to work at 100mbps (otherwise, they operate at 10mbps or not at all). Also use drivers specifically for your os as well.

Comment

Working...
              X