Internet connection sharing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet connection sharing

Just started dabbling in the networking stuff and having some problems. I got NICs installed in both machines, but I can't get them to talk to each other. Initially, I could get them to see each other in the Network Neighborhood. To get them to actually access a shared folder on the other machine was VERY slow, if it would work at all. I was unable to get onto the internet after that. It seems that my TCPIP protocols got corrupted, cause I had to delete them and reinstall from the windows disk, to be able to connect to the internet again. Of course, I haven't been able to get them to talk to each other since.

What I am trying to do is have them be able to game between the two machine and to have them both be able to access on the internet.

BTW both machines are using win98se and Realtek NICs.

I would appreciate any help
    Thx JM
    Have you hugged a Midget today?

ok, start off with the basics,

Workgroup name MUST be the same
    Computer names MUST be different
    They both have tcp/ip installed?
    IP addresses, are you giving them static ip's (ip's that stay the same), or are they getting them from a dhcp server(the server assigns ip addresses)?
    Subnet masks - 255.255.255.0
    on the computer with the internet connection and running the ICS software, make sure there is no DNS server or Default Gateway

that should be enough to get you started, if you stil have problems just come back :)
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

a website that i just stumbled across:
      http://www.practicallynetworked.com/howto/

it would explain it all better that i can
      TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

You da man, Andy. There is a lot of good info there, I will let you know when I actually get everthing up and running.

Thx

Comment

n/p
          TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

I got the LAN setup, so the computers can talk to each other now. I haven't done the file sharing, but the at least see each other and I can game between them. That is a small victory in itself. One thing that I found unusual, is the way my NIC cards behave. They are supposed to be 10/100 duplex cards, but when the speed is set to auto or 100 in full duplex mode, I have data loss between them (20-50% loss during pings). When I set them to 10Mbps in full duplex mode, there is no loss of data and pings are always under 10ms.

everytime I try to install the ICS, it craps out my network connection. It seems to let me connect, but there is no data transfer on the internet. I end up having to delete all my TCPIP bindings and reinstall them. The page that you directed me to has some 3rd party, sharing software, including some free ones. I think I might give up on ICS and try one of those.

I will let you know when I claim my final victory. :laugh: :wave:

JM

Comment

id say it'd be a dodgey cable if it cant handle 100mbit
              SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
              Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Comment

As above with the cable and did ya only install ICS on the PC that connects to the web or both as only the web 1 it works on and won't work with it installed on more than 1 on a network as I have no probs with it here and I've been usin' it for 2yrs now. :smokin:
                <center></center>

Comment

sometimes you cable simply isn't rigged for FDX transfers, also the other thing is that if you are using a hub/switch, sometimes they cannot handle FDX, when using 10Mbps FDX, u r essentially getting the equiv of 20Mbps, so when u do 100Mbps and take it to FDX (as opposed to HDX) u are essentially driving the network at 200Mbps, and as i said, some cards/cables/hubs/switches can't handle the likes of these settings and Half duplex is the safest option, i should think that if you set it manually to 100/half you will get the best performance possible, as it sounds like something IS holding you back a little...

hope that helps

Comment

I very much appreciate the suggestion! :D

I am not using a hub or switch. Just using a crossover cable between the two NICs.

I only tried to install ICS on computer that connects to internet. What I read suggests shutting down the client machine during installation, to prevent screwing up bindings on client, and that is what I did. I will try some of the other setting when I return from Holiday. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Comment

if both nic's are realtek its prolly just a farked NIC
                      SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
                      Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Comment

check out www.analogx.com they have free proxy software, and i have used it before, works great.....as far as your speed settings, you can only run full dupex if both nics (not nic cards as its a Network Interface Card (sorry, pet peeve #32)) are capable of it. you cant just run one. also, the signalling rate has to be the same, ie 10 or 100. basically they should be configured identically. if they are the same card, and you still cant run 100mbps full duplex (and they are both capable of it) then try a new cable. that should clear it up :D
                        [space saving sig]
                        AMD 0wn3z j00!
                        [/space saving sig]

Comment

Working...
                        X