usb/ethernet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• usb/ethernet

Hi, A friend just got aol dsl broadband (I know I tried to tell him). The modem has the normal ethernet connection but it also has a usb. Is this so you can choose which way you want to connect. He has usb and ethernet on his mobo.
    As always Thanx

Yes, there is a good chance that your friend got one of the modems that does have both connectors.

Comment

but i wouldnt use the usb connector. pure evil usb modems are... even more so than AOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdkiller
        but i wouldnt use the usb connector. pure evil usb modems are... even more so than AOL.
        I agree totally, except I hat AOL more than usb modems. But they're right, some modems have both usb and ethernet. Just choose. But choose ethernet as usb modems suck.

Later

ps. first post from mozilla on linux.

Comment

Cos they eat system resources, in case you're wondering.

But at least they don't send out zillions of crappy CD's.

Comment

but those cds are great to throw at passing cars on lazy drunken afternoons

Comment

Hehe, yeah... but imagine the satisfaction of throwing a USB modem at a car... destroying a crappy product and annoying drivers :).

Comment

yeah, that would be fun, but expensive.

Comment

I have Earthlink Cable w/ a Motorola Surfboard 4200 USB cable modem and i've had no problems and it connects easier, i think its great

Comment

the USB modems dont like to share a connection, as Tweak found out :)

i have seen this happen recently again, the host computer can browse the net fine, but other computers on the network can only browse to some sites but not others, replace it with an ethernet modem and the problems solved.

Comment

i have a USB/Ethernet modem, but i can't seem to get the modem to work with ethernet. it works fine with usb so i use that. i hear Ethernet is better and i want to take advantage of it, so i hooked the ethernet cable up, but it doesn't recognize the connection. can anyone help me? :(

Comment

Yeah, what modem do you have, what are the lights on it doinf when the ethernet cable is plugged in, and what OS. Also wha type of ethernet cable, a crossover or a straight through?

Comment

i have an RCA modem, and the lights are on when i plug it in, but the little icon in the taskbar says, the cable is unplugged, so i moved it around until the icon went away but it still didn't connect. i think somthing could be wrong with the cable or my NIC card, which was built into the mobo. i use Windows XP and i'm not sure if it's a crossover or straight through. i'm kinda new to broadband. it goes directly from my modem to my computer if that's what you mean.

Comment

What are the lights on that modem doing when you have it hooked up via ethernet?

I say first check out the NIC, make sure it's working correctly. So, does windows say that the ethernet card is installed in the device manager? It doesn't have a red X or an exclamation mark next to it right?

If it checks out ok there, go to start --> run
                            type in command, hit ok

you should be in a dos box
                            type "route print" without the quotes
                            you should see 6 or 7 lines under the column headings such as Network Destination and Netmask. If you only see 2 lines, it could be 3 things. The drivers aren't installed correctly, the NIC is disabled in device manager, or the Local Area Connection under your network connections control panel is disabled.

Check those things and let me know.

Also, here's how to identify a crossover cable.
                            http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...bl.htm#xtocid3

It's important because some modems use a straight through while others use a crossover between the modem and computer.

Later

Comment

i know the nic is working correctly. i typed in the command promt thing and i got about 12 lines under it. and by the looks of it, i had a straight through cable. my modem is a RCA DCM245R. thanks for all the help

Comment

Working...
                              X