server backup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• server backup

Okay, what is the easiest, most efficient and most reliable to back up a server..Set hard drives in a raid configuration, or norton ghost? We are running NT Server. Thanks for the info. Laters.

Going the RAID 1 route it's done straight away and is the most effective way of backing up. ;)
    <center></center>

Comment

there are at least 2 different issues here.

1. is server uptime

2. backup

Raid while good is not a backup system, raid is designed to do 2 things, 1. give you a bigger HD, 2. Provide redundancy so that your server can keep running

the best raid system is raid 5 (requires min 3 HD's ), this gives extra space & redundency

2. Backup - the best software that i know off is seagate backup exec - note most databases have to be stopped before they can be backed up
      http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

RAID-1 is the simplest and most cost effective way to get redundancy, when one drive dies, replace it and the array rebuilds itself. Simple! :)
        What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

still its not a backup solution

Comment

soz Kheldar didn't see your reply - you're too quick - I must be going
            What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

if for example you have a fire (like whats supposed to have happend to TT) then all your stuff is gone

Comment

Originally posted by Albinus
                soz Kheldar didn't see your reply - you're too quick - I must be going
                I think we replied at the same time

Comment

tape drives or somefin like that are pretty simple to get goin, we use ArcServe at work, but I am CERTAIN there are better options out there for backups...

Comment

I have heard tape drives work sometimes and other times they don't. We need the most reliable. Thanks for the info. Laters.

Comment

Originally posted by amd_demon
                      I have heard tape drives work sometimes and other times they don't. We need the most reliable. Thanks for the info. Laters.
                      that's like saying some PC's work and other's don't

If you get a decent one & set it up right - it works all the time

of course the tape needs to be stored offsite or its a waste of time

All of our file servers have redundancy through RAID - To prevent an interuption in service in the event of a drive failure, and a tape backup every 24hrs.

Comment

Originally posted by RDR

that's like saying some PC's work and other's don't

If you get a decent one & set it up right - it works all the time

of course the tape needs to be stored offsite or its a waste of time

All of our file servers have redundancy through RAID - To prevent an interuption in service in the event of a drive failure, and a tape backup every 24hrs.
                        RDR,

you forgot the most important thing IMHO and that is to test your backup strategy by doing test restores every so often from a good backup set. Most admins never do these especially full restores to a test server which if successful at least tell you that in an emergency you can just install the O/S & backup software on a new server and do a full resotre of all the data on the new server.

At the very least you have to make sure you can do test restores of single files and directories..

Comment

Yes Tape backup, DL4 Tape from ADIC, they have serveral options and are great.Archserve and Backup exec are the leaders in software.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalDD

At the very least you have to make sure you can do test restores of single files and directories..
                            test be damned...

we have to do actual restores of several large database files - on a regular basis.

It seems a particular 3rd party interface for Access that we use is particularly succeptable to corruption - of course their support dept. blames our network - which is bullsh!t:
                            I think we're just overworking Access & probably should be using SQL - not a cheap switch to make...damn Microshaft:shoot2:

what was I talking about again......:confused:

Comment

interesting, what is the name of the software that uses the database you speak of...are you running win2k server?

as we have a few clients using some software that we provide support for that is built with a Access db, and an SQL option...we founf that there is a correlation between win2ks and the corruption, nt4 and access or sql, or win2ks and sql databases all remain in tact...

Comment

Working...
                              X