Comcast High-Speed Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comcast High-Speed Internet

Would it be better to hook up my externel comcast high-speed internet modem to my built in 100Base-TX Ethernet network card or to the USB port?
    thanks.
    :geek:

You mean that you have a modem that can connect either way? :confused:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

i mean, what do you prefer? to hook it up to my ethernet? or to my USB?

Comment

If I can I'd rather connect via the nic as USB can sometimes be dodgey, its just I havn't heard of a modem that can connect either way yet. :smokin:

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
          If I can I'd rather connect via the nic as USB can sometimes be dodgey, its just I havn't heard of a modem that can connect either way yet. :smokin:
          there are a few that can do either which are available in the US that just can't connect via both means at the same time..

I have a USB & a Smart Media port on the front of my cable box even, i've been wondering what they're for.

Comment

Just goes to show ya then that I live in a 3rd world country. ;)

Comment

If you already have a USB one and you aren't a 'power user' don't worry abou it.

USB 1.1 ports can support 12 Mbps, which equals roughly 1 Megabyte Per Second.

Which means if you HAD that beasty of a connection, you would be able to download an MP3 in 3 seconds, or a Divx movie in 10 minutes.

In short, you probably don't have anywhere near that connection, and a USB one will work. If you are doing a mulitple computer network, with computer that need to be online ALL the time, then a Network one would be better, as some USB models start to get flaky after long hours of use, and then after a reboot work fine again.

Comment

Go ethernet and connect it to the nic. I've seen too many issues with USB modems. That may be beccause I take 40 phone calls a day, and they're all problems. You know, no one ever calls in to say their connection is working fine, heh. Also you could hook it up to a router and share the connection. You can't do that with USB. No one tell me USB hubs work for that because they don't

Hay, altangerel20, what modem do you have?

Later

Comment

I was just saying, if he has one computer, is not a power user, and already has a USB version, that he could use it and get by Ok.

Comment

FA-MAS, i have a motorola sb4200.
                    1)i just recieved my modem today, and i have a problem with the modem that it can't ping while the installation.

This is what i mean.
                    Failed to ping www.usatoday.com, www.yahoo.com,

Since your system was able to do a DHCP release/renew, you **DO** have raw connectivity (i.e. all your cables are connected and working), but your system is unable to PING these ip addresses in the outside world.
                    Error Code :9

2)i am running windows xp, ever since i hooked up my modem, windows takes about 3 or 4 mins to start. when i unplug the modem it starts up fine.
                    3)comcast company provided me with IP address. but the computer isn't detecting it. the modem is connected to a cable outlet, and the modems' lights and everything is on just fine.
                    i think the cable outlet isn't activated. you think?
                    HELP!
                    :wave:
                    thanks!

Comment

How do you have it hooked up? It sounds like a USB installation. First question is, does the modem show under device manager? If so, is there a local area connection for it under network connections?

It sounds like you are linked and recieving DHCP. Here's what we do.

Open a dos box, by going to start --> run --> command

then type ipconfig, plz post all the output

Manually try to ping www.yahoo.com
                      plz post the results

Also, try to ping 66.218.71.88
                      and also post the results

Later

Comment

when i type ipconfig at the run command, the dos box seems to close right after it opens.
                        thanks FA-MAS for repying. i fixed all the problems by uninstalling windows xp. everything worked when i recovered my whole system back to how it was when i first purchased it.
                        this is my first time experiencing cable internet. it is lightning FAST! at over almost 1000kbps. its pretty cool. i like comcast now.
                        :shoot3: :snip:
                        see you

Comment

Originally posted by altangerel20
                          when i type ipconfig at the run command, the dos box seems to close right after it opens.
                          You gotta run command to bring up the dos box first, then type ipconfig and it'll stay.

[B]Thanks FA-MAS for repying. i fixed all the problems by uninstalling windows xp. everything worked when i recovered my whole system back to how it was when i first purchased it.
                          this is my first time experiencing cable internet. it is lightning FAST! at over almost 1000kbps. its pretty cool. i like comcast now.
                          Nice, I only wish I could get cable, or even DSL that isn't capped as low as mine is.

Later

Comment

Altangerel20 just type "winipcfg" instead of ipconfig and you'll get things rollin'... ;)

Comment

Working...
                            X