Slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow

I have a problem I don't know what it is. All of a sudden in the past few days my internet because SLOWW!!!!!!! I don't what I did or how I can fix it.......Like when I hit the button new thread, the page would come up instantly now it just sits there and thinks and all the little faces at the side take about 10 seconds for all of them to show up. What is up with this? How do I fix this. Another computer in my house the file server which is a K6/2-500Mhz shows webpages faster then my computer does. So I know its not an ISP related issue. What could it be?

Also......instead of taking the usual half-1 second to check email in outlook express it now takes about 15 seconds.........and loading up webpages now take literally an ETERNETY......my line speeds are ok for what I'm used to I guess but I'm noticeing the pages are slower then the 56gay modems are capable of.......and my line speed is far greater......earlier today I had 720KB down and like 200 up......but just now I checked and its 512KB down and 170KB up..........but that is past the half megabit barrier and allowing me to download at 70KB a second so pages are loading up slow why? I know its a computer related issue.

what do you have cable dsl or what more info and how do you know it isn't the isp maybe the other machine is taking the bandwidth bottom line give more info

Comment

I have DSL.......well I know that the other machine is not taking any bandwidth because I just showed my brother how slow the internet is as this page loaded up so I can relply to you and he stated "God Damn what the hell is wrong with your internet" if you didn't take note already we are networked and share the same internet connection.......not internet sharing but through a router. Do you relize how long it takes for this website to load up? A good 45 seconds I'll tell you what.

Comment

Use the IE repair tool as that will probably fix it. ;)

Comment

Where do I get the IE repair tool? But will those only fix IE cause like I said sometimes it takes as long as 15-20 seconds to check email.

Comment

Unlike every other Windows os, XP requires a different method all together but I'll let ya read it for yourself from M$'s knowledge base (Q318378), http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q318378 :smokin:
            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Well from the looks of this it makes me suspect that IE and OE is actually broken and won't open at all cause of corrupted files. That's not the case for me. See my problem is the internet slower then usual.

Comment

I've had that "slowing down" before on the 98SE PC's a few times over the years since IE 5.1 and the repair has always fixed it but I havn't had the problem with XP yet but then I've only had it for a few months now. :smokin:

Comment

Ya same here.........but I never had this slowing down problem before EVER. However when I first started noticing these problems occuring I thought to myself maybe its related to the network card drivers and I relized I'm still using the started junky windows drivers. So I went to the site to "update" them and I relized that those drivers are actually an entire year older why would I want to use those. So I put the standard windows ones back in. Why I don't know. Then I thought maybe its related to the DNS configuration. So I switched the numbers around and apparently It didn't help much maybe it improved speed a little bit cause BellSouth did come out with a new number so I used it maybe that new number is bad? Not only that but I had a bunch of protocols installed such as IPX and TCP I removed the IPX ones that way it can get directly to the protocol that is needed as fast as possible without delay. Now here I am. Would this IE repair tool actually help my problems? I hope it does cause I HATE reinstalling windows without formatting first. Also what are your internet settings. Is it bad to have internet cache cleared all the time? I have it set to 1 meg max.

Comment

Well it's never hosed any os that I know or heard of before plus it doesn't alter any of your settings though it does on the first restart ask for your language preference again and whether ya want to make MSN your homepage but just click on retain current settings. :smokin:

Comment

Ok, I'll definitly look into doing this later today I guess. Thanks Wiggo :thumb:

Comment

How did ya go with it? :?:

Comment

Well I looked into it and it made me feel like the only thing I was doing was reinstalling internet explorer. I was like there is nothing wrong with the program its just it views websites and OE checks email quite slow. Was it really worth it. Now that I really look into it. THe internet goes normal and slow on and off on and off. Besides I'm approaching my 4 month format soon, so that will definitly fix it.

Comment

Working...
                          X