Cannot Access Some Websites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot Access Some Websites

I am sharing a DSL connection in my house with Windows XP. I have found that I cannot access the following websites on the two computers that are sharing the connection:

blkviper.com
    aynrand.org
    stylusmagazine.com

These are just a few of the website that for no apparent reason I cannot load. I can, however, access these sites on the computer that is directly connected to the DSL line.

What could be causing these and other websites to not load for me? This is getting annoying, please help me out.:confused:

Now if your getting the symbol in the pic below then that is probably why. If you go to Internet properties/ security and click on the Trusted sites icon then Sites button then add the site there like I did with Tweaktown (*.tweaktown.com) it should work to let you veiw those sites. :smokin:

Comment

Well, I added the sites to the trusted sites in Internet Explorer, yet they won't load. Does this have something to do with the connection sharing? I am still left without a clue.

Comment

No sharing should have nothing to do with it. Are you still getting that symbol? If so double click on it and see what cookies it's stopping. :?:
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

No, I wasn't getting that symbol at all. I don't think this has anything to do with cookies. Atleast it's not telling me that.

Comment

Here's whatcha do. Bring up a DOS box and try to ping these domain names. Do so from that particular machine. Of course you would type:

ping www.aynrand.org

Do the same thing for all the domains. If it gives you replies, I would think a browser problem. Maybe try Netscape or something else. If no replies, then what does it tell you? Plz post the results of those pings.

Comment

C:\>ping www.blkviper.com

Pinging www.blkviper.com [205.139.55.14] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 144.232.241.90: Destination net unreachable.

Ping statistics for 205.139.55.14:
              Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
              Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
              Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\>ping www.aynrand.org

Pinging www.aynrand.org [216.241.32.171] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 216.241.32.171: bytes=32 time=87ms TTL=240
              Reply from 216.241.32.171: bytes=32 time=88ms TTL=240
              Reply from 216.241.32.171: bytes=32 time=117ms TTL=240
              Reply from 216.241.32.171: bytes=32 time=89ms TTL=240

Ping statistics for 216.241.32.171:
              Minimum = 87ms, Maximum = 117ms, Average = 95ms

C:\>ping www.stylusmagazine.com

Pinging www.stylusmagazine.com [209.249.147.216] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 209.249.147.216: bytes=32 time=99ms TTL=50
              Reply from 209.249.147.216: bytes=32 time=150ms TTL=50
              Reply from 209.249.147.216: bytes=32 time=100ms TTL=50
              Reply from 209.249.147.216: bytes=32 time=100ms TTL=50

Ping statistics for 209.249.147.216:
              Minimum = 99ms, Maximum = 150ms, Average = 112ms

Comment

Wow, It's good that you get replies from the first 2, that means that it resolved them to IP's.

You should be able to at least browse to aynrand.org and
                stylusmagazine.com.

As for blkviper.com, notice how you told it to ping that blkviper.com, it resolved to an IP address, and another IP told you that the other was unreachable? They prolly have it behind a firewall or something. Or part of their network's down. Which lead me to another thing.

The IP that told you the destination was unreachable. I ran an nslookup on it, and it turned out to be:

144.232.241.90 = sl-calicity-1-0.sprintlink.net

Lemme ask you, who is your ISP?

Either way, I believe this is a browser issue., If you're using IE, run the IE repair tool by going to Add/Remove Programs, highlighting IE, hitting the Add/Remove button, and choose Repair IE.

Also check the internet options to make sure that there are no proxies set. Check that under the connection tab.

Also go through all the tabs and reset everything to default.

If that doesn't work, try another browser and tell me how it goes. Of course Netscape or something else.

Later.

Comment

Thanks a lot FA-MAS,

I'm going to try everything that you suggested and I'll get back to you with my results, hopefully things will start working again. Thanks Again.

Comment

I tried to run a repair tool by going to the add/remove programs menu, but no such option exists in windows XP.

So, I went to Microsoft's website and they advised running sfc /scannow from Run at the Start Menu. This utility scans windows files and makes sure that they are entact.

This utility just sat on the middle of my desktop with a little progress bar for about 30 minutes and once it was completed it just went away, no status report, no "completed" message, nothing. So, I'm back at square one.

Is there a real repair utility for IE 6?

Comment

Yes there is and when one of the XP PC's here are free I'll have a look for it but in Win9x it can also be found under tools in System Info. :smokin:
                      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

There has to be somethin' -- man I would be way aggravated by now with this problem, Corduroy has the patience of a saint.

FYI; I was born in the same town as HAL 9000 -- small world ain't it?
                        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Now here's a lovely bunch of coconuts

If that doesn't help, is there any possibility you at 1 time had ZoneAlarm and uninstalled it perhaps? Is this an upgrade installation from Windows ME? if so. http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q313067

There's a proggy called InternetBoost99 or something like that that has been known to cause problems too.
                          OK, I'm reaching here -- but I want to help honest!
                          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I have XP installed on a clean HD, no upgrades. The only programs I have installed that involve the internet at all are Norton 2001 and Download Accelerator, but neither should block certain IPs from loading in IE arbitrarily.

Comment

Take off Download Accelerator plz. All those things do is cache the pages so it appears faster, and it can be messing you up. I've seen it way too many times.

Also try another browser, download Netscape if you have to. Just to determine if it's something with IE or something else.

Later

Comment

Working...
                              X