No announcement yet.

Cannot Access Some Websites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was my understanding that Download Accelerator downloaded from mulitiples mirrors in order to increase the speed of a DL. It appears to do that whenever I use it.

I have had Download Accelerator on other XP boxes as well and it hasn't caused this problem, but I will uninstall it and see what happens.

Comment

what are you using to share the internet?
      I can, however, access these sites on the computer that is directly
      that spews to me that its your sharing software which i assume is in crappy built-in sharing :)

i would guess that you have firewalling turned on and maybe that is causing it?

Comment

skullshot,

I am using the sharing that is built in to windows XP, I don't have any of the firewall option in XP turned on. Their is another computer on the network that does not have this problem which is also running XP.

If this is a glitch in XP, I think it's a pretty big one that Microsoft would have patched already.

Comment

Originally posted by FA-MAS
          Take off Download Accelerator plz. All those things do is cache the pages so it appears faster, and it can be messing you up. I've seen it way too many times.

Also try another browser, download Netscape if you have to. Just to determine if it's something with IE or something else.

Later
          I have DAP and it's not stopping me from getting into any sites. I know I'm on a different OS Corduroy, but I just thought I let you know anyway.:?:

Comment

I uninstalled DAP and it did nothing to fix this problem. I'm pretty sure it has to be something wrong with the internet sharing on this box or something screwy with IE. I ran the Net Diagnostics tool in the System Info screen like suggested, but I got all positive results.

If anyone can pull something out of anywhere as to why this isnt' working it would save me having to the opposite end of the building to use 4 websites. (I have now discovered I cannot use Directron.com on my box)

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo's-sister

I have DAP and it's not stopping me from getting into any sites. I know I'm on a different OS Corduroy, but I just thought I let you know anyway.:?:
              Yeah, I'm not saying that it is the problem. I'm just saying that I've seen programs like it be a problem too many times. It obviously doesn't download the pages from mirrors tho, just files that you download right?

sKuLLsHoT has a point. I missed that sentence previously. But, If you can ping it, that means the DNS is resolving and it actually is routing to that machine. I still believe that this is a browser issue. Have you tried a different browser yet?

Comment

re-install the TCP stack, theres a strong chance that is the problem, easiest way to get that done would be to delete the network card from control panel and re-install it (even if it does it automatically)

oh and FA-MAS, just because you can ping a site doesnt mean the sharing is not the problem, being that internet uses port 80 and pinging uses 37(?) or wotever (LDAP) and port 53 for DNS queries - add the fact that ICS IS CRAP :) and you have a valid reason to question it

but as an easier option, try a different browser as suggested before. I recommend Opera - its not too big a download - www.opera.com - and its better than Netscape !!

Comment

FA-MAS,

Download Accelerator may have caused you problems in the past on some systems, but the program is actually handy. Let's say I want to download a common file, like a quake mod that is a bit hefty as far as size goes. Well, there are usually 10 sites listed for that download. You can selected all of those sites one by one and DAP (Download Accelerator Plus) will download from all of those mirrors.

Sites that automatically redirect to different mirrors are really nice with it too, since it will automatically try to download from all the mirrors.

I'm downloading netscape right now. We'll see if this does it.

Comment

Originally posted by sKuLLsHoT
                    oh and FA-MAS, just because you can ping a site doesnt mean the sharing is not the problem, being that internet uses port 80 and pinging uses 37(?) or wotever (LDAP) and port 53 for DNS queries - add the fact that ICS IS CRAP :) and you have a valid reason to question it
                    Good point, but all i was trying to prove is that he is accessing dns servers and that they are resolving the host names to IP's. I do understand that something may be blocking port 80, but then he wouldn't be able to browse to anything on port 80.

And Corduroy, I hope Netscape works for you. And that Download Accelerator sounds like one of the nicer programs of it's kind. Again I'm not saying it is the problem, obviously you removed it and the problem still exists. So that's not the prob.

Later

Comment

i meant port 139 and LDAP is 389 :)

so yeah see how NS goes, no matter how much it sucks!

I still say you should have got Opera

Comment

Okay, netscape does not load these sites either. Now, if you can figure this out I would be amazed, but don't worry about this, I'm going back to school in a month and a half and will be able to take in the full pleasure of multiple T1 connections.

This problem is way beyond my capacity for troubleshooting at this point. Keep throwing suggestions at me if you've good them.

Comment

Wow, now that makes me believe more and more that it's the sharing software. If possible, try other sharing software or a hardware solution. Linksys routers are cheap.

Comment

get winroute: www.winroute.com

either pro or lite depending on your cash/other means

i can probably guarantee that it will work

Comment

What is a good Internet Connection Sharing Program that I can get as freeware for a trial period?

Comment

did you not read my previous post at all? (winroute lite is free)

Comment

Working...
                                X