Booted off of DSL Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booted off of DSL Line

OK, this is a rather odd malady, in my own assessment.

First: System Highlight

T'bird 1.4 @ 1.63
    Epox 8k7a+
    SB 5.1
    GF2pro
    Win98SE

My dsl line is connected with an Alcatel Speed Touch adsl modem. That was all well and good until I added a Realtek NIC (PN102TXA). Immediately after installing the drivers, the following would happen. Whenever I started Age of Empires, I would get booted off the dsl network. If I didn't start AoE then I could surf, download or do whatever without any network problems. I only play AoE on the net so I don't know if it would be any network game that would cause this, or if it is specific to AoE. I tried uninstalling the drivers, but it still occured. So I eventually got frustrated and reformatted and loaded Windoze. No problems since then.

Checked the website and didn't find anything useful. Got an email into the techsupport, but haven't heard anything yet.
    Have you hugged a Midget today?

Is the Realtek a second nic or is it replacin' the original or what? :?:
    <center></center>

Comment

Previous to the Realtek, there was no NIC in my machine. Just got around to installing it and it crapped out.

Comment

So I take it then that the modem is USB then so ya might want to check ya IRQ's as ya may find that the nic is sharing with the USB controller. :smokin:
        <center></center>

Comment

I will do that as soon as I get home. Exchanged a couple emails with the Realtek tech support and they didn't want to go near it. They had no idea what to say. :rolleyes:

Comment

Alright, what I did was move the NIC to a different pci slot. I reinstalled the drivers and I seem to be holding my dsl connection. I seem to have minor problems when I first log on after reboot, but after that it doesn't seem to be interrupting my connection. I will try and examine things more closely when I am not tired.

Comment

definately a IRQ/ resource prob then, its sorted now, tisall sweet i guess

Comment

Originally posted by skullshot
                definately a IRQ/ resource prob then, its sorted now, tisall sweet i guess

Not exactly... BellSouth still sucks rocks!

Here is a problem I have often: Data flow just arrests. Stops. No warning. It doesn't slow down, it just stops for apparently no reason. It is not associated with any particular program, usually only have IE running. The amount of time it last could be anywhere from several seconds to "I'm going to bed."

I only call BS about every other week to complain and they always have some lame excuse. I finally called them up a couple weeks ago and said "You are either gonna credit my account or cancel my service. I am tired of paying for service I am not getting." They credited my account, but it is still frustrating.

My question(s): Has anyone else come across anything like this? Is there anything I do to lessen the severity of the issue. Right now, everything is setup the way they suggest. Just wondering. :?:

JM

Comment

are you using a home firewall?? i think your connection could be timing out due to (as bs might think) inactivity. other than that, go with a cablemodem dude, dsl sucks, unless its all you have. i would have to look at it myself to see what its doing, when it stops, try going to a command prompt and type:

netstat -a

see how many timed out links there are
                  waiting means you sent out the signal to start a connection, but the connection is waiting for a response from the remote machine.

best of luck to ya :wave:
                  [space saving sig]
                  AMD 0wn3z j00!
                  [/space saving sig]

Comment

Wiz, when I do the nestat -a, most say "listening" then there is a bunch at the end that display "*.*"
                    I have no idea what that means. I did it a few different times and only once did it actually show a connection as timed out. Sorry, I don't have a screen shot to illustrate.

The firewall I am using is ZoneAlarm.

I got brave again and called the Techsupport for BellSouth. For once, it seems, I got to speak to someone who knew their a$$ from a hole in the ground. She agreed that my problem with the NIC was probably a IRQ issue. As far as getting booted repeatedly, there were a couple things. The first was my own stupid fault. When I took my mb out of the case, I sent the dsl modem on my monitor and left it there. I knew this, but she reminded me that this is a bit :no: :no: , as dsl does not like stong EM fields (as would be present in monitor) or high frequency signal (like a cordless phone base and some home security systems) to be near. So if I was getting into high latency, the interference from the monitor might have been enough to force the signal to be dropped completely.

The second thing I didn't think of at all. For those who don't have dsl, there are filters that go on all the voice jacks, to keep it and the dsl from interfereing with each other. There could have been a faulty filter or even a short in one of the phones, that was creating interference. She had me unplug all the phones (except the one that I was talking on) and see what happens. Well what happened was that my problem seemed to magically go away. I think I figured out which is my rogue phone and it will shortly be on it's way to the dump.

She also shared with me that they have a LOT of issues with ZoneAlarm. Eventhough, they are not allowed to recommend firewall, she said that I may want to consider Norton's firewall.

Anyway, all is right with the world.... for now. :rolleyes:

cheers

Comment

That's good to hear that ya probs fixed JealousMidget. :thumb:
                      <center></center>

Comment

a really good firewall i used to run (software, before i went to hardware) is Black Ice Defender. i have a copy of it if you want it. its true, zone alarm is great, but it restricts alot of access if you arent careful. :) cheers!
                        [space saving sig]
                        AMD 0wn3z j00!
                        [/space saving sig]

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard
                          a really good firewall i used to run (software, before i went to hardware) is Black Ice Defender. i have a copy of it if you want it. its true, zone alarm is great, but it restricts alot of access if you arent careful. :) cheers!
                          black ice defender isn't actually a firewall... it just monitors the activity :(
                          TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

yeah & a good monitor at that :)
                            At the request of wiggo ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Andy

black ice defender isn't actually a firewall... it just monitors the activity :(
                              yes, it is a firewall, its blocks certain port activity depending on the settings you choose. you can specifically deny/allow ips, or domains from accessing your machine. :D:D
                              [space saving sig]
                              AMD 0wn3z j00!
                              [/space saving sig]

Comment

Working...
                              X