Probably a dumb question but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probably a dumb question but...

Just reformatted one of my computers, but I don't have any of the drivers for any of the devices/cards inside. This is a bit of a problem with the network card, because win98se detects it, but isn't able to install a driver. I've fished through a bunch of disks and have been unable to figure out which drivers go with this card. It's possible I no longer have the disk. I took the card out to see if it said anything on it that might help, ie: a manufacturer's name, so I could download the drivers online, but no luck there:-( The card doesn't really say anything on it. Is there another way to figure out what drivers the card needs?

What does windows detect it as? :?:

Comment

Firstly, what did win98 pick the card up as? If it's PCI Ethernet, then that's no good.. but sometimes it figures out the name...

Secondly, there should be one big chip on the card that's bigger than the rest, with a name and a couple numbers / codes.. what does yours say?

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
        Firstly, what did win98 pick the card up as? If it's PCI Ethernet, then that's no good.. but sometimes it figures out the name...

Secondly, there should be one big chip on the card that's bigger than the rest, with a name and a couple numbers / codes.. what does yours say?
        90% of the time the copmany will also print their name on the silicon.

Comment

win98 detected the card as PCI Ethernet.

There's nothing really prominent that looks like a manufacturers name, so I'll just tell you what's on both chips.

On one of the chips there's a logo. It's an "E" with what looks like another E coming out the back and facing upwards (so lines are perpendicular and the top two make a right angle). Then there's an arrow pointing to the middle of that right angle. The rest says "0120" and "LF-H50X"

The other chip says "RMC" inside what looks like a crab logo. Or a lobster or something. Next to that it says "RTL8139C 14344S1"

Comment

Nevermind, I got it. Finally got the brilliant idea to just pop the card into my XP machine and see what it detected as. Realtek RTL8139. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Yohhan
              Nevermind, I got it. Finally got the brilliant idea to just pop the card into my XP machine and see what it detected as. Realtek RTL8139. Thanks everyone.
              Haha, well good luck then... I had forgotten about WinXP's massive native driver support. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Yohhan
                You ccould have told us that was an option.. :) And from the number I was going to say it was a Realtek card anyways..

Comment

Hehe, well if it had occurred to me, it never would have been an issue. I'm a little slow sometimes though:-) Thanks again.

Comment

Yohhan -- In the future what you can do to identify cards is scour them for any series of numbers or letters, and then enter them into google, after a few tries, you will have success 95% of the time.

Comment

Didn't know that one Zeradul....thx for the tip and what is up with your avatar dude?:thumb: :?: : peace2:
                      - Damien

Comment

He just needs to upload it again as it was probably lost in a server change. :smokin:
                        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Thanks zeradul, good idea.:) I'll try it out next time.

Comment

Well, a while back I was trying to upload an animated gif that was significantly smaller file size than the max allowed, but for whatever reason it didn't work, and then when i tried to upload my standard jpg, it wasn't working either, so I gave up.

vBulletin would give me the successful upload message, but it still wouldn't display any image, so whatever - as if avatars are important.

The animated gif was one of the guys from office space beating the hell out of the printer. hehe.

Comment

That was a fault at the time but that has now been fixed. ;)
                              Larger Av's are now allowed too. :D

Comment

Working...
                              X