Clear All

• internal or external

??? and why?

Just because...
    - Damien

Comment

External (USB excluded) due to much less hassles. :smokin:

Comment

It also looks cool with lil lights flashing and stuff well worth the money just for that reason...:D seriouly tho Wiggo's point pretty much explains it...
        - Damien

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
          External (USB excluded) due to much less hassles. :smokin:
          I agree with Wiggo. Plus, much easier to get to work in Linux.

Later

Comment

It really depends on what you will be using the modem for :)

If you want to run a non-Windows operating system such as Linux, then an external modem connected via the serial port is the way to go. Linux has generic drivers for most external serial modems, and they are hardware-driven, which means the main system CPU isn't hijacked to compress data (as what happens with software modems)

If you will only be running Windows-based operating systems, I strongly suggest you look at an internal modem based on the Conexant HCF chipset. They are compatible with every Australian ISP I have tried (about a dozen or so), and are hardware-based. The only software component is the firmware, which actually makes sense because it can be easily upgraded (without fear of ruining your modem).

Stay away from software controlled modems (which includes the Conexant HSF and Lucent LT chipsets). They take a significant amount of horsepower away from the CPU, and are useless for online gaming for this very reason (ping times under 350ms are very rare with a software-based modem). On my external serial modem I get pings around 180ms, and the HCF modem lowers that slightly to 170ms.

Hopefully this will allow you to make an educated choice on what type of modem to buy :wave:
            What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Working...
            X