Basic home networking: win98 and winxp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic home networking: win98 and winxp

A few networking questions. Hopefully they're fairly simple to answer.

I have two computers networked at home, one running Win98, and the other running Winxp. They're both connected to a Linksys hub/router which connects to my cable modem, allowing access to the internet.

My questions...

What is "mapping" a network drive? Does that make a hard drive on one computer accessible to all others on the network, ie: a network drive? Also, if I map a network drive on one computer, will it just appear as a new drive on the other system (how do I access it)? I have tried to allow access to files between the two systems, but it doesn't seem to be working. I've given each system a unique computer ID, and the same group ID.

Secondly, the win98 system has a printer that I'd like to use from the XP machine in the other room as well. How can I share the printer with both machines?

Any direct help or online reading would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Originally posted by Yohhan
    What is "mapping" a network drive? Does that make a hard drive on one computer accessible to all others on the network, ie: a network drive?
    Mapping a network drive simply allocates a drive letter to a shared folder on another computer. For example, if you share a folder called 'Pictures' on PC #1, on PC #2 you can map a drive (F: for example), and that will take you straight to the 'Pictures' folder on the other computer.

Also, if I map a network drive on one computer, will it just appear as a new drive on the other system (how do I access it)? I have tried to allow access to files between the two systems, but it doesn't seem to be working. I've given each system a unique computer ID, and the same group ID. Secondly, the win98 system has a printer that I'd like to use from the XP machine in the other room as well. How can I share the printer with both machines?
    When you map a drive, you map a drive on the other computer and the mapping happens on your computer. To map something, you first need to set up file sharing, which can be done in the Network properties. This is also where you set up printer sharing.

Once you've activated File and Printer sharing, then you simply go to the folder / printer you want to share, and set up your sharing. I'm assuming that your computers can actually communicate to each other too. Hope this makes some sense.

Comment

Actually they can't communicate:(

I've run the winxp network setup wizard on both systems (put it on disk for the win98 machine the setup said to do so). When I try to view the entire network on the win98 machine, it gives me an error saying it's inaccessible.

Both machines can access the internet fine behind my BEFSR41 linksys router, and both IP's appear in the dhcp clients table.

Comment

Can you ping from machine to machine?

Comment

Yes, I'm able to ping the other machine.

Comment

Bit of an update...

When I go to add a network printer, I can see the network now (when I click 'browse'), however no printer name shows up to add, and neither do the computer names. It just shows the workgroup "home". I also tried sharing a folder "downloads" on the win98 machine, and then accessing it from the xp machine like this: \\Kitchen\downloads\

Kitchen being the name of the other computer. It gave me an error in network path. Is the above incorrect, or is my network just not functioning?

Comment

Without being near an XP machine, i'm going from memory here, so bear with me... Firstly, i'm assuming that you've only got TCP/IP installed as your network protocol. You don't need IPX or NetBEUI, so if you've got them, get rid of them. Secondly, check out Tweak #5 <a href="http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=145&dPage=3" target="_blank">here</a>. Sometimes that has an effect on things too. OK, now, try this:

On the XP machine, firstly ping the Win 9x mahcine, then go into My Network Places and click on 'View workgroup computers' on the left-hand menu. You should see at least your own computer there, and there should be the win9x machine too. Let me know what you can / can't see.

Comment

got it working! I can print now and have mapped drives on both comps. Thanks!:-) Couple random questions for ya though...

How can I delete a mapped drive? I can create one and then I can't get rid of it.

Also, when I went to Tweak #5, I noticed that i didn't have a "Local Security Settings" under Administrative Tools. Is that because I'm using XP Professional?

Also, I remember reading something at www.grc.com talking about the security holes left by microsoft in their local networking setup. Right now TCP/IP is bound to the network card and file printer sharing. I read something about it being better to use NetBeui (sp?) within the network as opposed to tcpip? Anyways my question is, it is a big deal to do this for security reasons? Because while I could go back and read the instructions on how to do it with win98, I have no idea how to set it up with winxp. The "Local Area Connection Properties" doesn't seem to let me bind protocols the way win98 did.

Appreciate the help.

Comment

I haven't verified these, but they should be as follows:

[B]How can I delete a mapped drive? I can create one and then I can't get rid of it.
                  If you right click on the drive, you should see a 'Disconnect' option or something similar.

[b]Also, when I went to Tweak #5, I noticed that i didn't have a "Local Security Settings" under Administrative Tools. Is that because I'm using XP Professional?
                  As far as I know (it works in Win2000), if you go to 'Run - gpedit.msc' it will bring up the Group Policy window. Then you simply go to Computer Configuration - Windows Settings - Security Settings and things should start looking like the picture in the tweak.

[b]Also, I remember reading something at www.grc.com talking about the security holes left by microsoft in their local networking setup. Right now TCP/IP is bound to the network card and file printer sharing. I read something about it being better to use NetBeui (sp?) within the network as opposed to tcpip? Anyways my question is, it is a big deal to do this for security reasons? Because while I could go back and read the instructions on how to do it with win98, I have no idea how to set it up with winxp. The "Local Area Connection Properties" doesn't seem to let me bind protocols the way win98 did.
                  On a personal note, I simply avoid NetBEUI like the plague. It annoys me and it's useless. However, if find a valid reason to use it, then go ahead. Again, without an XP machine in front of me, I'm not entirely sure how to set up NetBEUI. If you still want to know how, i'll let you know tonight, but i'd stick with TCP/IP myself. MS's local networking isn't really that bad, as long as you stop file-sharing from working over your internet connection.

Comment

No luck with gpedit.msc, but it's not a big deal now that everything is functional.

I'd like to know how to setup NetBEUI though, just for the know how.

Regarding blocking file-sharing over the internet... how can I be sure that my system isn't doing that?

Comment

Interesting that Steve Gibson doesn't have any info on rebinding in XP. I've always used it in 9x as a quick and cheap security measure.....works nicely too.
                      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
                        Yohhan[/size]]
                        I'd like to know how to setup NetBEUI though, just for the know how.
                        It's actually on the XP CD but I can't remember the exact place off hand but it is a big security risk which is why it was dropped from sight. :smokin:
                        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Wiggo: NetBEUI was a big security risk? I thought it was a potential security risk to run tcpip on your LAN. Do you know what the problem with NetBEUI was?

Mr. C: Know of a site that will show me how to rebind XP? A little disappointed myself that Steve Gibson doesn't have anything up. I used his site a lot for 98.

On a side note, I also read somewhere that sharing a printer gives read-only access to to the WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder on win9x machines. Is there anyway to get rid of this share?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Comment

to get local security policy editor up, go to the run prompt and type "secpol.msc" (c:\winsows\system32\secpol.msc) and run that.

the share that they talk about is $print that is created from the windows machine, afaik that isnt the system folder but rather the print driver folder within the system folder

Comment

also if u log in to the 98 box as administrator
                              reboot
                              u will see the 2 puter start talking

this way u dont have to run no wizard, no mapped drives

easy as XP networking--

Lata

Comment

Working...
                              X