NAS and SANs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAS and SANs

We are looking at gettin some sort of NAS appliance or maybe a SAN if the prices are good...

I was wondering what people would recommend from their experiences? currently looking at some Snap! servers and a range of others on the web, really looking for some idea's to "refine" the field...pro's con's

Kheldar, this is a good one for you prolly

Snap servers are just as good as their advertsing (we tested one for a couple of weeks - had it online in 2mins)

IBM have just released a new system which works like this:

You have an array of 2" rack mounted HD's (basically looks like snap server)
    you can then dynamically partion off space for use in different servers
    You can also upgrade by adding another HD rack at any time (no downtime involved)

The IBM one sounds better but I've got no experience with it (yet) we are supposed to be getting one of these
    http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldar
      Snap servers are just as good as their advertsing (we tested one for a couple of weeks - had it online in 2mins)

IBM have just released a new system which works like this:

You have an array of 2" rack mounted HD's (basically looks like snap server)
      you can then dynamically partion off space for use in different servers
      You can also upgrade by adding another HD rack at any time (no downtime involved)

The IBM one sounds better but I've got no experience with it (yet) we are supposed to be getting one of these
      SNAP servers are what is known as Network Attached Storage [NAS], What IBM is talking about is a Storage Area Network [SAN]. Two very different beasts altogether. I've worked with HP's XP 48's and XP 512's and SANs are super expensive. What's cool about then is the supper fast Fibre Channel links between the machines and the storage so even though the drives can be in the next room or a different part of the building they are still 10x faster to access than local SCSI RAID arrays.. and you can do all kinds of RAID configurations on them too..

Comment

I did come accross the IBM stuff in my travels, but that was yesterday, i got interrupted and the window is still open on my PC at work ;)

so basically the main ones ppl heard of are HP, snap servers and IBMs stuff...

hrm... I have come across a fair few "little names"

i will post up some crap when i get to work in a few hours, oooh, houra\s, ****, better go to bed :D

Comment

Originally posted by skullshot
          I did come accross the IBM stuff in my travels, but that was yesterday, i got interrupted and the window is still open on my PC at work ;)

so basically the main ones ppl heard of are HP, snap servers and IBMs stuff...

hrm... I have come across a fair few "little names"

i will post up some crap when i get to work in a few hours, oooh, houra\s, ****, better go to bed :D
          Sun also makes NAS appliances they call them Cobalt Qube's.
          Maxtor make something they call Max Attach.
          I even saw NAS devices from Dell/Gateway/Compaq.

lots of vendors make them.. generally they start at like 20 GB and go all the way up to 120 TB's..

try going here for lots more reading: http://www.networkstorageforum.com/

Comment

Working...
          X