Slow dsl speed on one of two PCs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow dsl speed on one of two PCs

Okay, I have 2 desktop PCs. My main PC is directly connected to a wireless B Linksys router and my kids' PC is connected to it via a wireless usb adapter. Everything was working great for quite sometime(2 years) with this setup and my 1.5 mb dsl connection. Both PCs would consistently test at 1.2-1.3 mbps. Now all of a sudden my main PC has dropped off to 400-900 kbps and the tests are very erratic. All tests I have used show similar results. My kids' PC tests the same good speeds as always. I have tried bypassing my router and going directly to the modem with my same ethernet cable, and also using the usb cable connection from the modem to my PC, and finally I have tried using the same wireless usb adapter, that is being used on my kids' PC, on my main PC. All with the same results: 400-900 kbps and erratic. I have used Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware SE to remove spyware, and have done a complete virus system scan via AVG with no viruses found. Does anyone know or have any idea what might be causing this? Is it a software issue? Thanks so much for any help with this matter. Oh yeah, both PCs are running Windows xp with all updates. Doug...
    Last edited by catdug; 02-22-2008, 03:59 PM.

Re: Slow dsl speed on one of two PCs

Still sounds like some sort of malware, but you might check out the below link and see if there are any glaring problems with your setup:

http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks/
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Here is a link with the results from the tweak test you recommended: http://www.dslreports.com/tweakr/blo...nXP&via=normal What would've caused my connection to change so abruptly without me changing anything in the first place?

Comment

How about a fresh reinstall of windows xp home? Would that take care of any malware/software issues?

Comment

It should. Very few worms can infect the BIOS anymore so a reinstall will usually fix all problems with malware.
          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
          My Toys

Comment

Well, I reinstalled Windows from scratch. My download speed is still as slow as it was before. What do I do now? Please help.

Comment

by connecting directly I'm assuming you mean cat5 cable, replace the cable is one thing to try.

how fast does it copy files between pc's ie is it only download speed affected or is file copy slow as well.

is there a new firmware for your router? although unless you've played with it - it should be fine.
              http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldar View Post
                by connecting directly I'm assuming you mean cat5 cable, replace the cable is one thing to try.

how fast does it copy files between pc's ie is it only download speed affected or is file copy slow as well.

is there a new firmware for your router? although unless you've played with it - it should be fine.
                Yes, I mean cat5 cable. But if you'll notice, I mentioned in my original post that I also connected directly to my modem via usb cable which is an entirely different cable, and there was no change. Concerning firmware updates: I haven't played with it but what would my router have to do with it if I bypassed it completely when I connected my pc directly to the modem? I'm not sure how to copy files between pc's so I don't know if that's affected or not. Thanks for your reply. Anything else someone can come up with? Please help.

Comment

I have the exact same problem. It looks like this one was never resolved here but if catdug ever figured this out, please share! thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X