Cable Modems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable Modems

I always hear people whine how slow their cable modem is and how crappy cable modem it, well thats true sometimes, but shessh, when you live 12 miles from the border, you aint gotta *****, heh in Somerton, its me and 4 other goofs that got cable modem, everything is so smooth and fast, lag free, 600k downloads from a good website, ping of 35 on CS, schweet, well all of us cant have everything, well all i have to say, is TWEAK it, www.speedguide.net, increased my downloads by 200k, now they are 800k, cha ching!

Or this maybe:

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...e=guide&dId=93

: party ha
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Man cable is the Shiznit, its great! its quick and no LAG with pins of 30 to 100 on CS. Really can't complain about cable. I got 1.5 Mbit Dl speed and 289 upload w/ out the Tweaktown mods at Los Angles CA...and i'm in Miami FL ..?...thats not too bad is it?
      - Damien

Comment

You'd probably find that those who complain are using a USB modem connection and not a nic connection. :smokin:
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

NIC?....please do explain?...for i am intrigued....:?:
          - Damien

Comment

nic standards for Network Interface Card which is used for the connect to networks which cable internet really is, just 1 big network and connecting it through the USB connection on your PC just degrades the service. :smokin:

Comment

I see...:) so let me get it str8 I get LAN Card and go faster go USB and go slower..?
              - Damien

Comment

Actually, neither will increase the speed of your connection. However, if you choose a NIC or USB, That will determine how fast the modem communicates with the computer.

Even an uncapped cable modem won't go to 10 Megabit. This is because most cable modems are capped. You will not get anywhere near that. No matter what you choose, the connection will still be the same.

If you choose a NIC, you can choose 10 or 100 Megabit, both will work. But since you won't be getting near 10 Megabit, even a 10 Megabit will handle everything your connection can. Same for the 100 Megabit, It can definetly handle anything your connection can throw at it.

If you choose USB, since most cable modems use the USB 1.1, they operate at 12 Megabit.

For ease of use, you can't really beat USB, unless you have a NIC already installed.

Personally, I would go with a NIC. And get a 100 Megabit one. That way, If you add more computers, you can get a router and have more than one computer sharing the connection. Something that is not easily done on a USB connection.

Later

Comment

I feel the only real use of a NIC connection is for use under non-Windows operating systems. I don't know about cable modems, but most USB dialup modems sold in Australia now are software based (because 12Mbps is a lot faster than the 115Kbps of a serial port). FA-MAS, do you know if some USB cable modems are software based? :?:
                  What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

A lot of my friends who connected to Optus.Net in the begining and who used USB connection are all on nic's now. They found the reliability of then lacking somewhat but have no more probs now. :smokin:

Comment

Same. USB modems of any kind should be moved in the same category as USB speakers.

That category name- Unnecessary.

No matter what angle you come at it, its true. Compare prices of USB cable modems to a NIC. Compare their speed and reliability.
                      NIC wins all the way.

Comment

Well ya still need a cable modem for a nic to connect to, and the installation cost of the nic/modem over a USB modem is higher but I figure that it's worth it. :devil:

Comment

Originally posted by Albinus
                          FA-MAS, do you know if some USB cable modems are software based? :?:
                          Most of them are, you actually have to have USB working first. You know the right motherboard drivers and whatnot. Also, most of these USB cable modems have drivers that you need to install. But the part that controls the connection is actually embedded in the modem itself. Such as the settings for the modem to link with the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination Service) at the Regional Headend.

Comment

Working...
                          X