What remote program do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What remote program do you use?

In my other thread with the networking problem, im gonna try another remote controlling program. PCAnywhere doesn't work in XP, well it does but i lose the function to switch users...1 question about that, does ne1 know if once i install PCAnywhere & it disables that feature, can i re-enable it somehow?

well the main reason for this thread is, what program have u heard of or use to control another computer over the network, it has to be like visual control..

im thinking about using say netbus becoz i think it has a way of controlling the computer as if it were connected to the monitor...
    At the request of wiggo ;)

What do you want to re-enable switching users for anyway? its off here... u r the only user of ur boxen so there is really no point...
    SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
    Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Comment

hehe, yeah i know, but one day i MIGHT want to use it..:)

Comment

if you are controlling an XP box you can setup Remote Desktop on the box you want to control [which requires IIS] and then you just need a PC with a web browser that supports activeX to control your Win XP pro computer. I set this up in my house when I had RC2 running during the summer. works pretty well on a local LAN..

I just don't trust it security wise..

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
          hehe, yeah i know, but one day i MIGHT want to use it..:)
          fool... you're whining about something possibly deactivating a feature you dont currently and never will use... give it up... sheesh
          SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!

Comment

Originally posted by SileNceR

fool... you're whining about something possibly deactivating a feature you dont currently and never will use... give it up... sheesh
            Well then, as a challenge, pretend that he does utilize user-switching :).

Comment

well i just like to have all features there if someday i need to use them :toung:

btw, some ppl on OCAU suggested this program called Proxy...all i have to say is IT WHOMPS VNC & PCANYWHERE!!

Comment

well i just like to have all features there if someday i need to use them :toung:

btw, some ppl on OCAU suggested this program called Proxy...all i have to say is IT WHOMPS VNC & PCANYWHERE!!
                Funk Software's Proxy is pretty nice we use it where I work. and we have a geographically disperse WAN spanning 26 cities in 4 countries. And not every office is connected via a fast frame relay link some office have as little as 56k connections between them. we get good performance out of it. and you can do things like turn down high color icons/desktop for the session or my favorite supress the keyboard and mouse from the end user so you don't fight with them for the mouse..

Proxy 3.09 is very bug free, just make sure you have the video acceleration turned all the way up in windows system properties because if you don't the screen fails to update in proxy..

My contact at Funk tells me they have NT level control permissions in store for the next version of proxy..

Comment

tell this contact not 2 change how fast it updates!!! :) becoz the second i do something it is pretty much instant, its like controlling that computer...almost :)

Comment

tell this contact not 2 change how fast it updates!!! :) becoz the second i do something it is pretty much instant, its like controlling that computer...almost :)
                    i'm intrigued as to why they would even consider "retarding" their program... that would just be stupid

Comment

coz they would try & put in more features which would slow it down...ICQ for instance on machines without much memory...

Comment

and why would they do that when their main advantage over their competitors products appears to be speed?

Comment

*shrugs* just tryin to make sure they don't start headin the wrong way :)

Comment

i'm intrigued as to why they would even consider "retarding" their program... that would just be stupid
                            We'll as the story goes their big institutional customers want more security than either a password to get on the machine or needing to have someone on the other end give you permission to proxy the PC with HOST installed. Some customers wanted an in between option for training new users in other offices on a WAN where the person proxying in does not have any rights to change any major options [like hardware configs, or control panel preferences] unless the user gives them permission to do it.

For example you have people training new employees remotely via proxy on how to do something, you can give them permission to access PCs via Proxy but they can only see what the user is doing on the other end they can't teake control of their machine. It is supposed to also be able to be configured so users with a different security level would be able to take control of the PC but wouldn't be able to make any major changes via control panel or the registry.

Its a pretty good idea on paper but we'll have to wait and see how it pans out.. :eek:

Comment

hrm, that sounds like a fair bit of work...we might be waitin a while for this :(

Comment

Working...
                              X