DSL Connection Sharing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSL Connection Sharing

I have a question. We just got ADSL installed and it's working fine. However on our network, I can't seem to download email messages through Outlook Express and some sites don't seem to load on client PCs, although on the server they load fine. I'm using Windows XP ICS, does anyone have any suggestions for other programs I could use to share the Internet and cure these problems?

I've already tried WinRoute Lite.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

i would suggest a hardware router. i am currently looking into one for my adsl. i think i am going to get the netgear 8 port switch cable/dsl router with firewall (also supports port mapping). its expensive, but cheaper than a computer.

But the only software ICS i have used is the one with 98SE. i havent got the XP one to work properly either. :(

Comment

Hmmm ok, might have to look into that.

Do you have any suggestions for other programs I could give a try?
      Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
      Managing Director
      Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

http://www.tucows.com/share95.html

Comment

umm... one thing i had to do with my email account when i had the net shared was:
          in outlook express, instead of putting "mail" as the server, i had to put "mail.optushome.com.au" as the server, you might need to do that, i'm not sure though :\
          TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

If I may just say so, XP is usually the problem, windows XP is got to be the most buggy program ever, I think XP stands for
            Xtreme Problems. If you have a problem with loading or timeouts chances are it's XP:cheers:

Comment

That's one of the stupidest excuses I've ever heard. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
                That's one of the stupidest excuses I've ever heard. :)
                I agree, if anything it would be the ICS that comes with XP, but not the OS.

Comment

< sarcasm>

Oh, but he's using an Athlon CPU. That's what the problem is.. Athlon CPU's always cause problems. They crash everything...

< /sarcasm>

Comment

/me runs for cover as shrapnel falls.

Comment

Get an old Pentium box with 2 network cards, and install a custom linux distro called Smoothwall on it. Its free, it will provide firewall + proxy + port forwarding and has bowser based management. Go to http://www.smoothwall.org to download the ISO - its only like 23megs!

OIh and it also acts as a dhcp server for ur network, and the proxy can be transparent so you don't have to set it on each client

Comment

If that's the route you wana go, why not use coyote linux, it is a router that fits on a floppy diskette.

Comment

Originally posted by fragman
                          Get an old Pentium box with 2 network cards, and install a custom linux distro called Smoothwall on it. Its free, it will provide firewall + proxy + port forwarding and has bowser based management. Go to http://www.smoothwall.org to download the ISO - its only like 23megs!

OIh and it also acts as a dhcp server for ur network, and the proxy can be transparent so you don't have to set it on each client
                          Why go to all the effort?
                          I'm just getting myself one of <a href="http://www.netgear.com.au/product_view.asp?xrp=4&yrp=12&zrp=93" target="_blank">these</a>...

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy

Why go to all the effort?
                            I'm just getting myself one of <a href="http://www.netgear.com.au/product_view.asp?xrp=4&yrp=12&zrp=93" target="_blank">these</a>...
                            Either way, it doesn't really matter. I myself have installed RT314's before without problem as well as smoothwalls. The advantage of using smoothwall is you can use some crappy old hardware that's lying around to do it, and it proxies to reduce traffic. I'm just saying that why pay $300 odd dollars if you can do it for next to nothing?

Comment

I know where you are coming from, and I partly agree. If you do have all the stuff sitting there, doing nothing, then go for it. But if you've only got a few parts, then you'll probably spend just as much time / effort / cash getting it up and running as you would with a dedicated router.

There's also other things to consider. Size / placement. Power needs. Whether or not you leave a monitor/keyboard/mouse connected. If not, then how do you change things later? go to all the effort of setting it all up again, just to change a couple settings?

I'm quite happy to pay a little more for something that offers me:
                              [list=a][*]Routing capabilities[*]a four port switch[*]DHCP[*]Basic NAT capabilities[*]Basic firewall capabilities[*]Basic logging capabilities[*]Is smaller than my existing modem[*]Doesn't require huge amounts of power[*]Can be easily configured from any PC on the network[/list=a]

Sure, Smoothwall / *insert other variant here* can do the same thing (probably better), but is it really necessary?

Comment

Working...
                              X