No announcement yet.

XP HOME network LIMITED ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umm, if nobody answers this by the time I get home, I'll find out for you then. . I'm currently on a Windows 2000 machine at work, and I can't remember exactly where it is in XP...

Comment

Open my computer or windows explorer. goto the tools menu and select folder options. Then in the folder options screen click the view tab along the top. scroll to the bottom of the advanced settings list, and the bottom entry should say "use simple file sharing (recommended)", untick that box.

Comment

Thanks BK...

Comment

to: BK
          had a look, headings for VIEW TAB in XP Home are
          Files & Folders, Hidden Files and Folders, Managing Pairs of Web Pages

cant see "simple file sharing"
          are you looking in PRO ?
          the plot thickens
          GT

Comment

I cant find it either

nothing in folder options that includes sharing
            that i can see on XP Home

also would changing folder options change the
            number of users able to access printers ???

Comment

XP Home has a limit of 5 simultaneous file sharing
              XP Pro (like NT) has a limit of 10 simultaneous file sharing

see below
              http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxpservr.htm#limit[/url]

GT

Comment

Well.. I guess you were right to start with... I've learnt something for the day now.

Comment

being MS its prolly just a reg setting somewhere.

and from MS themselves: Windows XP Home Edition-based computers always have Simple File Sharing enabled.

Comment

Beefy,
                    the question is
                    WHY DIDN'T YOU KNOW
                    because someone at M$ didn't want you to ! ???
                    thanks for you and all the Tweakies for your help

Comment

ah ms do want ya to know, i knew all along, but didnt quite know what you were talkin about. if ya look on their sales sheets title why buy winXP Pro they explain home has 5 and pro has 10 and all that crap

Comment

UPDATE
                        setting up a desktop pointer to the common file to be shared
                        allowed all machines to look at the file one by one sequentially,
                        closing each folder before moving to the next machine,
                        BUT
                        eventually it said dont get cute with me and locked you into
                        5 machines with the others locked out ....... so you cant even
                        alternate which machines are working on the common folder
                        GO BACK to the 7th post to this thread
                        yes the one from M$ site about a BETTER EXPERIENCE
                        ........ by inference they are saying PRO will do it better than HOME,
                        NOT TRUE ........ HOMEless cant do it, and it would appear a
                        lot of effort has been put into making sure it wont
                        ............... its a lock out !!!! ??????
                        SOLUTION .... keep your old 98 or start paying for PRO
                        and SERVER etc etc
                        will be most gratefull if someone can show us to be wrong
                        GT

ps what happens to all the notebooks that have HOMEless
                        on them, if they try and hook into the office network, especially
                        if there are 10 XP Pro machines in the office net and along comes
                        notebook number 11 trying to hook in !!!!!
                        we are only trying to use this network for basic file storage
                        MAYBE "direct connect" will do the job ????

Comment

this was the same if u compared a copy of win2k pro, and win2k server, there are built in limitations as to the number of simultaneous connections u can have to the file sharing, i first was confronted with this problem at a LAN i held where we used a 2kpro box as a file server, once we got 5... (or 10) users trying to copy stuff from it, they were gettin lockouts, it may well have been one user at a time...

there is an option in the licensing module, i believe u could just add licenses in 2k and that'd fix some, whether it is truly hard-coded limit or not, i cant be certain...

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                            ps what happens to all the notebooks that have HOMEless
                            on them, if they try and hook into the office network, especially
                            if there are 10 XP Pro machines in the office net and along comes
                            notebook number 11 trying to hook in !!!!!
                            the office should have a central file server that can handle all the shares. i dont think anyones gonna be stupid enough to put winxp home on a business file server.

Comment

here here!

Comment

If I'm understanding all of this correctly, the complaint here is that using Windows XP Home Edition, more than five connection cannot be made to one computer at one time.

You can set the limit higher, atleast I know that for sure in Pro, but my question for Unregistered is: Why?

Why would you want more than 5 computers to connect to another computer at once? Every user that logs on slows down the access times of the other users who are using that box. The 5 connection limit isn't there because Microsoft (whom everyone should credit with popularizing computing thanks to MS-DOS and Windows 3.1) wanted to be the evil computer *******s that too many people claim they are.

You probably don't want more than 5 users at a time on any computer, because you're just asking the box to do too much at that point and you'd get your tasks done just as fast if you waited to do them when the box was free.

Comment

Working...
                                X